Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2012 Sportsman 800, 57h, ~650 miles

I added turf tires and have been hauling a trailer a lot lately. While turning on hard/tacky surfaces I get a click coming from the rear end. This noise is the same right to left and isn't dependent on suspension travel.

I assume it is the diff and this is normal but haven't been able to find an answer. It seems most people immediately point to a CV joint, wheel bearings or brake pads. So, does the diff make noise when releasing? Any way to make sure?

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:med:

·
Registered
105 Posts
2013 500 sportsman ho touring

Had the Same thing happen today pulling a leaf sweeper only 150 miles on it made my heart sink.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Mines been making noise for about a month at least and i tore into it and the wheel bearings are trashed.
Jack the rear end up and see if your bearings got any play in them by trying to wiggle the tire back and forth.
mine had about a good inch of play and was rolling fine minus all the popping sounds.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll be pulling the ATV back into the shop this weekend to take a look if there is any play.

When yours makes noise, does it do it consistently right to left? Mine is just so consistent based on the radius of the turn, and the noise, that it seems like the diff.

·
Registered
376 Posts
noise while turning is the outer cv joints clicking going straight on and off the throttle is normal, my 600 clicks, test rode last yr a new 800 and it was clicking brand new on accell/decel....normal

·
Registered
224 Posts
we love noisy machines

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Only a 1/16th of an inch play in the wheel bearings. I think thats good? Transmission has good looking fluid. After doing the tire change the noise is greatly reduce.

Maybe nothing's wrong?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Sounds like u should just ride and enjoy it instead of working on it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts