Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2015 Sportsman 850 with maybe 8 hours and the rear end started making a clunking noise when accelerating and slowing down. Like slack in the rear end. Sounds like a hammer tapping hollow metal

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Have you tried greased everything.... don't forget the front drive shaft / slip yoke! This is where I could start.... simple & cheap. If that doesn't solve it try to better locate the noises source.

Otherwise it just may be the "normal" drive line "backlash".... or engineered/manufactured "slop"!!

It isn't still under warranty is it??

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Any noise when turning sharply at slow speeds?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Just went thru this with my 850, replaced the rear u_joints (minimal play) has new rear wheel bearings in it, no play in the cv joints. Before I dug into the rear end I went and picked up some new bands and cv joint grease ( figured it was cheaper than digging into the rear end) Low an behold I found a cracked outside cv joint ( and it had no play) Put on a new one and all issues gone !!

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Noise clutches

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Thought it may have been an axle

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Hell.......there is no issue there at all. That is normal tolerance stacking. Clearance in the splines of the axle shafts & the gear set.
Quit playing with it and ride it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You have to pay attention to the bands on the axle boots. On the right side the outside band doesn't move and the inside does. Obvious slack. The passenger side has no slack.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Guess I'm not seeing it. Just not seeing a broken shaft there.

Take it to your dealer. Have them remove the shaft and replace or disassemble clean and inspect

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hell.......there is no issue there at all. That is normal tolerance stacking. Clearance in the splines of the axle shafts & the gear set.
Quit playing with it and ride it.
Well I'd like to believe that but you would think the tolerances would be a little better than that I didn't buy a Harley Davidson. Have a 2011 550 XP with no problems like this, break axles from time to time but that's it. Regards

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just went thru this with my 850, replaced the rear u_joints (minimal play) has new rear wheel bearings in it, no play in the cv joints. Before I dug into the rear end I went and picked up some new bands and cv joint grease ( figured it was cheaper than digging into the rear end) Low an behold I found a cracked outside cv joint ( and it had no play) Put on a new one and all issues gone !!
That I will check, seems these ATV's don't get much mileage before stuff craps out. Regards

1 - 20 of 22 Posts