Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, I have a 2008 500HO Carb'd that has a set of white lights in the rear lighting assembly. I always assumed that they were backup lights but upon testing today they appear to never work!!! The assembly has bulbs and wires. Is this not connected on this model and if so, how can I connect a switch, say up around the instrument cluster so I can manually connect when I need them?
Thanks,John

·
Registered
15 Posts
I thought that is how they get turned on was by a rocker switch either on the handlebars or instrument cluster.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All I could gleam in the manuals is a Diff/light switch on the EFI model, but no mention about the Carb'd model,
John

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
There are several good threads on installing backup and work lamps along with bypassing the 4x4 lockout in reverse using Mini ISO relays (1"cube) . You already have the light housings.

I just installed backup lights on my '12 along with a winch power switch circuit breaker, LED headlights, horn, and turnsignals.
I used 1/2" wide Micro ISO relays to save space. The black cube is a "dual 87" Mini ISO I'm using to provide ignition switched power from the battery to two fuse blocks. The gray ones are Micro ISOs.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
1,373 Posts

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
I have in on mine and like it. I do sometimes get problems with yellow button. I think there is a short somewhere because when I hit yellow button the rear lights come on.

But they will come on with the switch and when I shift into reverse. You can't really see anything with them unless pitch dark. But others will know when you back up. So for this safety reason I like them.

Unsure why I have problems.

CW

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I put a Delphi snubber diode in the wire between the relays to the speedo head. That stopped the backfeeding.

I'll post a PDF of the schematic I drew before I added Polari$ LED headlights, turnsignals, horn, reverse override, backup lamps, and 5 position grip heaters.

Yes. I drew a schematic. It keeps me from getting lost on wiring projects. I know what I did five years ago if I need to fix it too...

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
I put a Delphi snubber diode in the wire between the relays to the speedo head. That stopped the backfeeding.

I'll post a PDF of the schematic I drew before I added Polari$ LED headlights, turnsignals, horn, reverse override, backup lamps, and 5 position grip heaters.

Yes. I drew a schematic. It keeps me from getting lost on wiring projects. I know what I did five years ago if I need to fix it too...

OOH so its NOT my wiring?

Help is MOST appreciated!!! It would be VERY NICE to stop this from happening!

CW

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
For a fullsize print you'll need Arch-B 12x18 paper and a printer that can eat it.
This is Grip Heaters, Horn, Turnsignals, Winches, Load Reduction Relay, 4x4 Override, Backup Lamps, LED headlamps, and Gauges. I'm not using the backup lamps for work lights and I don't have a bypass for the 4x4 override.

http://johnnynightstick.s3.amazonaws.com/IMAGES/SportsmanAddOn.pdf

I use space saver Micro Automotive relays (.5" x 1" x 1" vs Mini 1" cube) for anything I can. The Micro saves space by using .187" terminals for the low current coil and Normally Closed contact while keeping higher current capacity on the Normally Open contacts by using .250" terminals. Micro Automotive relays are not the Omron ISO 280 relays the how-to warns against. The ISO 280 relays would work too if someone took the time to layout the wiring diagram...

Here's some more on relays if you care... http://www.olct.co/news/understanding-relays

The diode I used is a GM Delphi Air Conditioning Clutch Snubber diode Part #12135037. They used them on mid 1980's G body cars. It's the same form factor as an ATM fuse so you can put it in any inline ATM (micro) fuse holder. Your GM dealer will have them or you can get em from Mouser Electronics.

Higher output 921 bulbs may help light output... rather than the 912 bulbs called for. I don't use them except in reverse so I'm unsure what would happen if I used them as work lamps.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts