Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 Magnum 325 4x4 with stripped spline on the shaft from the transmission to the rear differential. I have the diff out and the pin out of the shaft but the prop shaft will not go back far enough to remove the shaft completely. The u-joint hits the swing arm before the shaft will come completely off the spline(on the transmission output shaft). It is close but no go. Do I have to remove the rear swing arm or loosen the transmission? It seems like it should come off. Thanks.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Im not sure on your 2001 magnum but on my sportsman i had to slide the rear differential back before i could get the prop shaft off. just undo all the bolts connecting the rear differential to the frame and you should have it!

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It looks like I have to remove the swing arm. I found a thread on the magnum 330 that explains how to do it. My service manual is not real clear on this issue. The main problem is the locknut on the left side is 1 3/4 inch. Who has a socket that large? It's recessed so a large adjustable won't work.

I'm not happy with the design. The spline length on the prop shaft is half that of the differential gear. That's why it stripped under heavy torque. It was well greased to. I work on this thing way to much. I'm going to get a Yamaha.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts