Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 06 sportsman 800 just got it last Sunday and it need the back prop shaft this it the first sportsman I’ve ever owned I have ordered the shaft and was going to put it on this morning but I cannot get it to go on.does the rear diff need to slide back and if so how hard is it to get it to slide back

·
Premium Member
8,214 Posts
I want to say all you need to do is loosen the rear diff mounting bolts and you'll be able to get it.

If that doesn't work and Polman doesn't chime in message him.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
10-4 like I said I’m new the the Polaris group so I don’t really know that much about them how many bolts are there

·
Premium Member
8,214 Posts
I'm guessing here but I'd think 4. I have a 2011 800 but it doesn't have a rear diff but a transaxle. So a bit different.

·
Premium Member
8,214 Posts
Anytime. Like I said if Polman doesn't chime in by late tomorrow morning message him. He has that era 800 and knows his stuff!!

·
9,867 Posts
Get the machine jacked up and both back wheels off. Knock the pin out #4 that holds the yoke on the tranny output shaft. Take the lower bolt out of the shock on the left side and swing it up and tie it up out of the way. Get the left a-arm and control arm off so the bolts holding the gearcase can be removed. Its tight but you can get a open end wrench in the gap of the right arms that are still attached to hold the right side nuts while you turn the bolts to loosen on the left side. Once you get all 8 bolts out holding the rear gearcase in the frame. (2 under the bottom and 6 in the top). Then you can wiggle, pry, etc. to move the gearcase back in the frame about 1 1/2" so the shaft has enough clearance to come off the shafts and the new one can be put on. A little wire brush on the splines and a dab of grease will ease the process of getting the new one on.
Good luck and ask questions if you get stuck.

·
Premium Member
8,214 Posts
See I told ya, lol. The guy is good!!!!!!!!!!

·
9,867 Posts
You guys gonna make my head swell till my cap won't fit lol.
I'm just an old wrench turner but I've had some practice with that procedure. I could probably take an old 800 apart blindfolded if I needed to. (y)

·
Premium Member
8,214 Posts
Haha you two have things pretty well covered!!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Also being u said electrical it also had the engine light on Cade 41 and 45 which is air temp sensor and barometer I think what do they control and will it hurt to ride it with them codes on cause I don’t know nothing about a efi this is the first one I’ve own

·
9,867 Posts
The TBAP #30 is in the air intake just after it leaves the air box. They don't go bad often but do get dirty or the wires broken at the plug.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Alright will it hurt to run it with it messing up or am I taking a chance of messing up the motor

·
9,867 Posts
No it won't hurt it but it probably won't run right. It only has one screw that holds it on and the connector simply unplugs right at the sensor. Why not pull it out and spray it with some contact cleaner or starting fluid and check for broken or bare wires? Don't take more than about 2 minutes.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I got one more question that doesn’t pertain to the Polaris a buddy of mine got a 2004 arctic cat 300 4x4 that’s not getting fire to the spark plug rectifier looks fine but I’m not really sure and cdi don’t look burnt but it’s not doing anything when u hit the start button but can cross the solenoid and it will turn over has good compression but I’m not sure dude he bought it from said he was riding and it just died with him but I’m not sure do I need to replace the cdi and rectifier or do u think it’s the stator and the wiring harness on it look like Freddy kruegur went to it

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Got one more question for y’all I check that sensor and I cleaned it out cause it was fully clogged and it help a lot but also when I first start it up it will ideal but when you go to give it the gas it it kinda bogs down a lil bit then will take off then some times it bogs down and runs funny could this be the spark plugs or another sensor I’m not awhere of

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just had same codes on my 2007 sportsman 800 codes 41 and 45 symptom was stalling. Quad logic makes harness and has new sensor. Replaced both on my machine and code is gone.I believe the problem was in the harness although i saw no broken wires. After repair i had a code 42 coolant sensor just got a new sensor and harness from Quad logic putting that in this weekend hoping that will be the end of my stalling problems. Good luck

1 - 20 of 23 Posts