Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My rear rotor has a huge crack in in all the way through about an 1/8in gap at the end. I only have 650 miles on the atv and tend to use my front brakes more often. How is this a thing? dealer said it would be $80 for the part. Is there somewhere better to get one not so costly? Especially if there should be no reason for this to happen.

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
The dealer can give you a break on the cost if they choose to. I had cracks in the rear bearing carriers on my 2016 1000 Touring. They were right around $80 each, they sold them to me for $62 each. I had 780'ish miles on it at the time. My cracks were not near as large as yours.

·
Premium Member
7,411 Posts
That's no defect there something contacted that rotor to do that damage!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't see how something could of hit that. I trail ride only. I don't rock climb with it or that rough on it at all. Its only a 450 so theres not much I can do anyways.

·
Premium Member
7,411 Posts
Well sh!t happens I mean it is in the realm of possibilities it's a manufacturing defect. I'm betting a rock got caught up in there. Either way you cut it sux. But like they say you gotta pay to play!!

·
8,746 Posts
If I were guessing...and I am...I'd say that caliper was either adjusted too tight and has been dragging or someone inadvertently had their foot on it and the disc was red hot when it hit water instantly chilling the disc causing it to crack... But that's just a guess. I've never seen one break that way.

·
Premium Member
3,540 Posts
BTW if you use the handlebar brake lever it operates both front and rear brakes. The pedal in the right footwell only operates the rear.

650 miles seems low for a failure like that but stuff does happen. Bite the bullet, buy the rotor and change it out. Not that tough. I would avoid the really cheap parts though. You have no idea where they come from (well probably China). Along with questionable quality. Either get a Polaris part or one from a known aftermarket company.

·
Premium Member
7,411 Posts
:dito:!!!!!! Don't WASTE your money on inferior parts. I use OEM or a reputable aftermarket manufacturer.

·
Premium Member
3,540 Posts
Not bad! Probably one hour of labor.....

·
Premium Member
7,411 Posts
Glad the meet you in the middle!!! I mean they could have easily denied it. Not trying to be a d!ck just pointing out that questionable warranty claims don't go in the consumers favor. So I think the dealer went to bat for you!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts