Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am the second owner of a 2005 Sportsman 500 HO. I am wanting to stiffen up the ride a little so bought the shock adjustment tool at my dealer. Tried to turn the adjustment ring with the tool but it would not budge. Thought about using a piece of pipe to get some leverage but the videos I have seen on adjusting the shocks showed them to move pretty easy and did not want to screw something up. To my knowledge they have never been moved off of the softest setting. I had the back end jacked up when I tried to adjust. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

BRR

·
Registered
114 Posts
Spray the hell out of it with some WD40 to get some dirt or sand out and help lubricate the turn. And yes have it jacked up for sure. Can't imagine this won't work.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Exactly.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Yes, also get a pipe that fit over the tool so you get some leverage. I took my wheels off it was much easier to adjust the springs. I bought my used and the original owner jacked the springs to the highest setting; it rode like hell. I adjusted them back down to the third setting. Now it's very comfortable.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I took my wheels off it was much easier to adjust the springs.
Taking the wheels off was a must for me. But I'm to cheap to buy the Spanner wrench and I happen to have a pair for F'n Big Channel Locks laying around. Worked Perfect

·
Registered
378 Posts
I took my wheels off it was much easier to adjust the springs.
Taking the wheels off was a must for me. But I'm to cheap to buy the Spanner wrench and I happen to have a pair for F'n Big Channel Locks laying around. Worked Perfect

YES! The big Channel Locks work great! :biggthumpup:

·
Registered
200 Posts
:veryhappy:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks

Spraying with WD 40 was my plan but wanted to throw it out here first. Thanks for the replies.

BRR

·
Registered
143 Posts
If push comes to shove, take the springs off and clean everything, I just put HD springs on my 800 and there was so much crap between the shock and the adjustment sleeve.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
I am the second owner of a 2005 Sportsman 500 HO. I am wanting to stiffen up the ride a little so bought the shock adjustment tool at my dealer. Tried to turn the adjustment ring with the tool but it would not budge. Thought about using a piece of pipe to get some leverage but the videos I have seen on adjusting the shocks showed them to move pretty easy and did not want to screw something up. To my knowledge they have never been moved off of the softest setting. I had the back end jacked up when I tried to adjust. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

BRR
Take the wire/wheel off, use the tool provided but slip a 2' piece of pipe over the handle

1 - 11 of 11 Posts