Polaris ATV Forum banner

Rear shock for 96 Xplorer 400

4K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Team_Geek 
#1 ·
Hi
New to the forum and to Polaris quads. I picked up a nice looking 1996 Xplorer 400 last week and it runs great but the shocks are all blown. I found new front struts but am having problems finding a rear shock.
Factory part number is 7041447.
Does anyone know of an aftermarket alternative that would fit on this machine?
Thanks!

#2 ·
Font Line Window Pattern Automotive exterior
to the forum
Ball Automotive lighting Vehicle registration plate Font Gas

#4 ·
Thanks for the reply. I’m not sure either. I stopped by my local Polaris dealer the other day and just asked what options they might have for me. We couldn’t find any aftermarket anything for any of the late 90’s quads. Parts guy did a global part lookup on his computer and we found three NOS units in Canada and one in Cannon Falls MN. I called those guys and they actually found it so I guess I got the last new one in the USA.
Sorry any future time travelers looking for shocks for this vintage machine!

#6 ·
So my long shot shock was a bust, we had our wires crossed and I was sent the wrong part number. So back to the drawing board.
From looking at parts diagrams over the last few days here is what I know -
The 95 and 96 Xplorer 400 share same part numbers for the swingarm, spring, upper spring retainer, and upper/lower mounting bolts.
What differs is the frame, the shock itself along with the lower spring retainer and adjusting cam. The 95 also has a shock protector that might act as a spacer for the spring also. The 96 doesn’t have this.
I’m going out on a limb to say it would work. I’ve got the all the parts on order and will see what it looks like when it all gets here.

#7 ·
Parts all came in. Can confirm a 95 shock would work just fine on the 96+ models, but you need basically the entire assembly. The upper spring holder and spring will move across, but the body on the 95 is 10mm skinnier so all the lower end parts (adjuster etc) won’t swap over.

The rod is also skinnier so overall the 95 is a less ‘beefy’ shock, but it is working better than the blown one I took off so I’m gonna run it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.