Polaris ATV Forum banner

Rear suspention adjustment

5K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  Bruteforcebob 
#1 ·
Hey guys and gals, I'm having a little trouble adjusting the suspension on my xp. I cant seem to get the tool in there on the rear. And it is super tough to turn on the front.
Any easier ways of doing this? Do I need to take the wheels off? Thanks :headache:

#2 ·
If you are having issues than you may need to jack it up off the ground and take the wheels off. If the spanner wrench you have does not fit, you could also use channel locks.

#3 ·
Also just a note, if you have aftermarket HD springs installed it makes it extremely difficult to adjust. I can't even adjust mine unless i compress the springs.

#4 ·
Ok thanks, I do jack it up but it dosnt seem to help too much. I just pull the ATV over! lol but I will give it another try. Thanks for the help! I have stock springs and I really need to adjust the front as I have the plow on and it rubs on the ground pretty much all the time. And I'm losing traction, would that be because the front end is to soft and the rear is too high?

#5 ·
It can be tough because you get sand and grit in behind the adjusters. I've put the spanner wrench on and then used channel lock pliars on the handle of the spanner wrench to get enough leverage to turn it. Works good, just a little awkward.

#6 ·
Ya I have a. Steel bar that I use to take nuts of wheels, and I think I'm gonna try that.

#7 ·
As far as the traction goes, add some weight to your rear rack. Weight and lower tire pressure will aid your traction in snow.

#8 ·
Ok I might just try that. My awd won't stay in long enough to make a full sweep so I start spinning sideways and then I have to come almost to a complete stop and then it kicks back in. But by then I have lost all my momentum. It's kinda hard on the front end though, isn't it?

#13 ·
Pushing snow is harder on your belt than the front end. As far as the awd, why not put it in 4wd? Then it will stay locked in.

#9 ·
umm... i found the polaris tool to suck really, i bought the adjusters for my x2 ( for the front, because it doesnt have any adjuster) and it came with the tool, i cut off a piece of it to use on my rear shocks ( dealer never gave me the tool kit :aargh4: :angryfire:
i renembered about it and tryed it , its maybe 1inch onger than the stock one from polaris, and doesnt have the clutch hook .
i did not jack up my wheels i just " pushed" so instead of a constant pulling, i made little pulls as strong as i could as fast as i could....
nope i helped,

#10 ·
Ok thanks man

#11 ·
Here was my solution after almost breaking my thumb after the spanner slipped off. I jacked up the one side at a time. I took that wheel off to give memoirs room to work. I place the spanner wrench on the adjuster and slipped a jack handle over the end as a breaker bar. Finally I kept pressure on the wrench/breaker with one hand while with the other hand I alternately whacked the spanner wrench to turn it and to keep it in place. One hit to seat the spanner wrench, the next hit to turn it a little, the next hit to seat the wrench again since it always started to slip out of the adjuster as it started to turn. Repeat.
This allowed me to work the adjuster around without killing my hand when the spanner slipped off. Just my solution. Good luck.

#12 ·
Just adjusted mine last night. Took the weight off the wheels by jacking in the middle. Locked the brakes on, gave it a shot of WD40. They didn't turn real easy and the thought of me busting my knuckles was there, but they did move.
ps I used the tool that came with the quad.

#14 ·
ermmmm not to jack this thread.... but your guys 4x4 turns on when the 2x4 is engaged!?!?!?!?O_O
if i put mine in 4x4 aka awd it stays in there.... im prety sure when i was in the trails, (snow) then went on the highway for 1.5 KM at 60-70 km/h it STAYED in awd.......
and when im in 2x4 it STAYS in 2x4.... ive been doing serious drifts/burnouts on the lake all winter on my x2....
not sure about my XP because its going to be its first winter (COME ON SNOW, FALL ALREADY)

#16 ·
No it dosnt stay locked in. But its still in awd mode. Because then all of a suuden it kicks back in.

#17 ·
then i guess on my x2 it doesnt work xD i have NEVER had it stop working in awd mode... id did tho had afew times where after turning on awd or starting the atv in awd had the rear wheels slip abit then engage the front,
other wise i know when its in awd because of the difficulty to turn , plus on roads im on, i usually turn off awd before going a highway and turn it back on, although im pretty sure my xp STAYED in awd the few times i used it in trails (no rear slipping, perfect traction) because my xp became more dull, lke i used to go at this speed at this many rpm now its more rpm=less speed or when i accelerate it sounds more under load and accelerates slower.......
i knew the popos awd turned off and on, but ive NEVER experienced it turning off when i switched it to 4x4 mode....... even after i switch it to 2x4 (in the winter on the lake) the 4x4 sometimes stays STILL on for a few more seconds (stopped, wait 5 seconds, switch, wait 10 seconds, go)

#19 ·
Yup there must be something wrong. I was out in the snow last night and it would take about 3-4 well turns to engage! It is suppose to do it it in one fifth of a wheel turn. Man I hope my front end isn't going! I'm just off of warrany. But there must be something wrong. My old 3 wheel drive Honda did better in the snow!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.