Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 sportsman 500 2000 miles . my rear wheels are tipped in and also wheels little shaky. looking to up grad my suspension and fix this problem with some help of pointers. the way we ride and where we ride I don't the the factory is good anymore .. thank you

·
Registered
112 Posts
Have same problem

Hi,

I have the same problem on my 05 500HO, front wheels slanted in on the top when viewed from the front. Have been told that it might need new springs or that the front bushings need to be replaced. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

BRR

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
they do canter in a bit on top till you ride and straighten out....sorta like the old Volkswagans...the wheels always looked slanted in....you can check your bushing ..just jack it up and wiggle tire and A frame

·
Premium Member
7,683 Posts
I have a 2013 sportsman 500 2000 miles . my rear wheels are tipped in and also wheels little shaky. looking to up grad my suspension and fix this problem with some help of pointers. the way we ride and where we ride I don't the the factory is good anymore .. thank you
If u haven't cranked up the preload on the springs do it and that will help. The factory springs loss some of their rate after some torture. May be time to upgrade to epi or high lifter. If there is no movement in the wheels check the bearings and bushings. Up front chk bearings, bushings, ball joints, and toe rod ends. I upgraded my bushings to a set a member on here makes, his name is jccapri. As far as the other components I used OEM as replacement parts.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Thanks for all of your input. I will try cranking up the preload on the springs and see what happens. I am pretty new to ATVs so have a couple of questions if this doesn't help.

What do I look for when I jack up the front end and wiggle it?
Is replacing the springs and bushings something that I can do myself? If so, do you know of any instructions on the web that details how to do this?

Thanks again,

BRR

·
Registered
123 Posts

You wont find many with any miles that arent....dont fix it if it aint broke. The bearings and bushings have a little wear...the wheels arent going to fall off.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Having the tires tilt in slightly at the top, or negative camber on a vehicle is not uncommon. Look at a race car and you'll see the tires tilt in quite a bit. The reason is that when you make a turn, the outside tire is tilting more straight up, putting more tread on the ground. I would think the rationale is the same on an ATV. As you make a left turn, the forces at work are pushing the right tire more perpendicular to the ground, and putting more tread in the dirt.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
If u haven't cranked up the preload on the springs do it and that will help. The factory springs loss some of their rate after some torture. May be time to upgrade to epi or high lifter. If there is no movement in the wheels check the bearings and bushings. Up front chk bearings, bushings, ball joints, and toe rod ends. I upgraded my bushings to a set a member on here makes, his name is jccapri. As far as the other components I used OEM as replacement parts.
Like stated.... if you haven't adjusted the preloads, do so untill you like the ride and/or stance. If that doesn't work it may be time to upgrade to an HD spring on all 4 corners.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I cant see 013 springs going that fast...like said adjust your springs some to your liking...how hard are you riding it....it may be more suspension than springs...but as said the wheels will canter in a bit when stopped...check bushings...if not greased frequently they will wear in 2000 miles...

·
Premium Member
7,683 Posts
Thanks for all of your input. I will try cranking up the preload on the springs and see what happens. I am pretty new to ATVs so have a couple of questions if this doesn't help.

What do I look for when I jack up the front end and wiggle it?
Is replacing the springs and bushings something that I can do myself? If so, do you know of any instructions on the web that details how to do this?

Thanks again,

BRR
yes to all of ur questions. there isn't any adjustment on the front of ur quad just on the rear and the replays for the adjustment were for the OP's ?. also the front should have negative camber ie tilted in at the top.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts