Polaris ATV Forum banner

Rebuild thoughts on 96 Xplorer 400

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Team_Geek 
#1 ·
I very recently picked up a 96 Xplorer 400. It needs a water pump rebuild (leaks coolant badly from underside of engine when running) and the shocks are leaking. Previous owner had this quad for 20 years and was a farm machine, hauling hay bales, grading the driveway and misc farm chores.
This thing starts instantly and sounds healthy. It’s got just under 3000 miles and PO says he’s never been inside the engine. Overall the quad looks in great shape, no busted plastics, seat cover is good, new tires, minimal rust. Looks like it was well cared for.
Part of me thinks I should do a full rebuild when I go in to fix the water pump since all the seals and piston sound like they are 26 years old.
The other part of me says the thing runs so nice as is I should just put an electric water pump on, flush all the fluids and go have fun riding it.
What does the forum think? What would you do if this was your latest purchase?

Tom

#3 ·
I like @latebird option! Listen with that machine being that old with that many miles and being a work machine I'm afraid that if you start banging around on the trails with it it's going to start coming apart. So even if you freshened it up and did a quick little rebuild other things are going to start going on it. If you have the time in the resources to tinker with it I have a feeling it's going to nickel and dime you.

#5 ·
I'd suggest you start shopping around for needed parts first to see what you can find. Many will be NLA.
If YOU really like it and can find parts then just do a total freshen up of the whole machine because then money is no object.
If that's not the case... take latebird's advice. Sell it, try to make a little on it and move on up to something better suited to your needs/wants.

#6 ·
I would do what it needs to run and ride well and send it till you need to fix something else. Things like piston rings can be there for 100 years and as long as they got oil on them every once in a while they’d be in the same condition. Things like seals may go bad with time but my 98 big bear hasn’t leaked a drop of anything so I’m going to leave it alone.

#7 ·
Not a lot of love for these older machines I guess! I’m a sucker for tinkering on stuff. Almost everything in my garage was bought not running or in need of help and under $1k. I guess it’s my hobby (or mental illness if you ask my wife)!

Decided to keep it for now. Getting a top end refresh right now, bored 0.020 over to clean up general wear on the cylinder (no scoring just wore down). Inside of engine looks very clean. All the bearings feel smooth besides the water pump. I’m going to convert to Prius electric pump per threads elsewhere.

You guys are right it does take a lot of little things but outside of the rear shock I haven’t had any real troubles finding parts.

Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.