Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well gentlemen I have alluded to it in some of my posts but now it's official!!! A damn near complete rebuild of the 800. Every major component has been sent out and rebuilt. I purchased a new frame. Almost everything is being upgraded. From new suspension bushings all the way to adding electric power steering!!!

I guess I'll be adding to the whole story here and there but I'll try and give the parts that got me to this point now. I could go back a few years when in New Hampshire after loading the wheeler on top of my Diamond Back carrier I noticed the diff and tranny seals were sweating and thought well those will be needing new seals and potentially bearings. The real culprit that started this undertaking or shall I say the straw that broke the camel's back was literally breaking the frame. So here are a few pics of the carnage. This happened nearly two years ago on a ride in upstate New York.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
So a little over a year ago it was coming down to the wire as our annual Hatfield & McCoy trip was approaching in September. I needed to start wrenching on the 800, ASAP!!!! In the first pic here you'll noticed a removed the plastics on the 800 and had a new set of Big Horn 2.0's shipped. Figured a little added incentive couldn't hurt. Plus I needed new rubber. Funny thing is at this point I didn't know I'd be putting those new 2.0's on a new 570-T. But as I soon discovered in the tear down of the wheeler I had more damage to the frame then previously anticipated!!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I haven't been doing anything Earth shattering on the reBUILD. Just putsing around cleaning suspension components and installing the rest of the Garage Products bushings. Well I ran out of things to do as far as the suspension is concerned and moved onto getting the engine in the frame. Wasn't able to get that completed either as I compiled a list of parts I need. But I did unpackage the engine that has been sitting in my garage for 11 months. Here it is in all its glory. What we have here is a fully rebuilt engine from nFlow. I had the HO package installed in lew of having it rebuilt with essentially the same parts.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks like I forgot to mention and post a pic of the new frame I bought. I wasn't going chance repairs on the original frame. There was the original break at the right rear lower a-arm tab. Then the vertical member that had heat and abrasion damage. Also the upper strut support crack. Fast forwarding when I removed the transaxle I noticed numerous fractures via rust stains in the welds. So let's rewind to the original incedent. I was at a crossroads, do I call insurance and put in a claim and have it totalled out, have what was visibly wrong welded and ride it or sell it, or bite the bullet and dive in and let the chips fall where they may. So obviously #3 the hard way is what I chose and is typical of my daily choices, lol. So here's the frame I'll be bolting everything to.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Like I said I'll be jumping back and forth from present day real time work on the 800 to the tear down and rebuild of parts and components. Although I'll be jumping I'm going to try and keep chronological order of the process. So here are some pics of my ATV Guru front brush guard. Since the wheeler was on IR I figured it was time to call John and have a permanent bracket installed for my Rigid Industries light bar. You'll see what I had done in the photos. What you can't see is the broken sections of expanded metal where it ties into the square tubing. Believe me when I say this machine and I went to war against practically every trail we hit, haha.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Well best laid plans of mice and men, coming up doughnuts here fellas!!! After failed attempts at the front suspension, then the motor, now SuperATVs EPS. Same story different day, "waiting on parts"!!! But I was able to get the frame rigged up on some dunnage, front diff is in, and I opened a familiarized myself with the EPS install.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It will be “Better-Faster-Stronger”. For a little less than 6 Million. Lookin’ good Bp.
Thank you sir!!!! Yes that's my anticipation, "Better-Faster-Stronger". That's the thing $$$$$, it's a cool project and all but I wonder HOW pound foolish this may be. Bottom line is I'm having fun with it, the kids come out to hang and check out the progress, the wife thinks I'm some sorta mechanical genius, and the fellas think it's pretty damn cool what I'm doing. AND I get to share it with you gents!!!

·
Registered
583 Posts
It’s all about the journey! For sure I’d like to have a bike assembled/built by myself knowing everything about it. You have total “quality control”.

·
Premium Member
7,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It’s all about the journey! For sure I’d like to have a bike assembled/built by myself knowing everything about it. You have total “quality control”.
This is very true!!!

·
Premium Member
7,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well we have some rain here in NY so I'm cleaning up the shop today. I did jump on the lab top to chk my Rocky Mountain delivery schedule and the good news is parts will start arriving soon. Bad news some pieces are back ordered for a month. So we'll see fingers crossed they get here sooner then that.

So I figured I'd take a moment to post up some pics of the before and after and an explanation surrounding my front diff. So like I stated earlier a few years back I noticed some sweat around the diff input seal. Monitored it for a while and changed the fluid as I had always done. Then on my last trip with the 800 down to HMT (Sept 2017) I noticed what I would call seepage. I knew that was it and going in to the winter I would have to do the necessary repairs. Fast forward to (Jan 2019) when I pulled it from the machine and was able to really inspect it I found more going on then I felt bearings and seals would fix. So I contacted a RZR diff builder called HD Extreme Offroad and though they hadn't done one fror a 800 before they were willing to have a go at it. My major concern was the input shaft had to much backlash and lateral play. I felt the lateral play was probably the bearing. But at this point with everything else I had on the table in front of me I figured it would be better to send it out. So what did my diff need? Bearings and seals were a definite, I also had them upgrade me to a billet aluminum Sprague, the armature plate was also upgraded to their HD version. I also needed new axle cups. Those were worn to hell!!! As were the inboard ends of my front axles. The front diff feels nice and tight so I'm hoping all goes well when the time comes to through the switch!!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Good morning gentlemen and I use that term lightly :susel:. Figured since things are at a crawl I'd touch on a some work already completed. Over the weekend I installed Garage Products bushings. Now the reason for choosing them aside from a great reputation is their bushings came with sleeves. This was important because the previous set of jccapri's bushing didn't. So I wanted to try the GP "system" if you will. Very very impressed with fitment, design, and the sleeves & hardware!!! The most impressive aspect of the actual bushings are there is an o-ring on the outer inside of them. That's a pretty neat design feature. The sleeves that are not machined (tapped) to take a bolt and use a nut and bolt combination are stainless steel. Where as the machined (tapped/threaded) sleeves are coated with zinc chromate. All in all an easy install just a few taps with the rubber mallet and it all went together very nicely!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Awesome stuff man. How exactly did you break the frame?
Lots of abuse!!! Haha!!!! Well that's a tough question to answer! Reason being there is the cumulative damage and the straw that broke the camel's back I would say in a nut shell. So this machine was my first powersports toy. Basically I went on a ride with a friend and three days later I had the 800. So I did a lot of learning or "crashing". I rolled it twice doing some steep climbs. Put it on its side while f'ing around. And was thrown off it when I was pulled into a deep washout descending a steep hill. Then there's the rock crawling where the bottom of the frame gets pounded. But more recently I was launching it over water dams and whenever I could blip the throttle and get the front end up and over something I did. And I honestly feel that's where the rear of the bike took on the most damage. It showed up in the tear down that's for sure. The actual ride that it happened on was actually the next weekend after a 6 day ride down at HMT. I whipped that machine up, down, and around those trails, had an absolute BLAST doing it. So the weekend after we trailered to a ride in upstate NY and on day two the final day of the ride is when it came apart. One of the guys in our group bought a new Can-Am 1000 XT and wanted my buddy Dave to test it out. So Dave and I just took of rippin up these trails. Well when Dave stopped to take a break and return the 1000 is where I took the first photo of this thread. I knew something was off and did a walk around noticed the rear right wheel but assumed the wheeler was just off camber. Well about three minutes after starting back on the trail the rear a-arm pulled completely away from the frame. So I ratchet strapped it together road out and loaded up. That was almost two years ago and now I'm waist deep in full blown rebuild.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh and I should note the machine has approximately 380hrs and 3,800 miles. I purchased it Sept 2011.

·
Premium Member
7,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well things are a little slow on the rebuild!!! Waiting on parts and time. Time shouldn't be an issue seeing I took the summer off to hang with the kiddos and get some stuff done around the casa. But it seems to always be a premium!!!! Anywho I was planning on pressure washing the deck today and it started raining. Well I stopped at the hardware store this morning to pick up some items and I grabbed these furniture feet plugs. I wanted to cover the square lower frame section as to prevent depris from building up. Idk seems like it'll work and it's a good idea. There are 1/4" holes on the top side of the square tubbing down stream. So I'm not overly concerned about moisture build up and lack of venting the tubbing. We shall see how it holds up, hopefully the plugs stay put!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well had the boss for a few this evening and was able to pull the old ball joints. What a pain!!! I think this time was the worst because I wasn't doing the bearings. So in the past I just heated up the strut housing and pulled the ball-joints without a problem. Well these bearing are fine because I've been using the bearing greaser so no need to replace them. But the issue was I didn't want to get things to hot in fear of damaging the bearing seals. Needless to say things got pretty hot eventually and the ball joints came out. I had frozen the new OEM ball-joints and they just slide right in, didn't even need the hammer and socket although I did give them a couple taps cause of that OCD :devil.

Also over the past week to 10 days some back ordered parts have trickled in. So in the next few days I'll be hopefully making some decent progress.

Well I needed a little inspiration so I unpacked my re-done guru bumper. John is the man and knocked it out of the park!!! I had him add a permanent mounting spot for my Rigid Industries E-Series light bar. He also powder coated it again to freshen it up!!! Very very happy with it!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
That's a pretty epic overhaul, you must really like that thing! I just did a refresh on my 07 800 sportsman just wear and tear parts it had 1700 miles or so but it had a hard life. I bought it used from a friend that was moving away a few years ago.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Mikey likey this painted parts!!! Very nice sir!!!!

Yeah I do become attached to the machines I own!!! Very weird when typing it!!! DONT JUDGE ME!!!! Lol. You know what it is also I watch those car/truck shows where they do a rebuild from the ground up well I don't think I'll ever get to do that and this is kind of a way to do that. If that makes any sense. And I thought it would be cool. I know dollar and cents wise it's not economical. Idk just wanted to do it I guess. At the end of the day it's fun. I can't wait to actually ride it. That's going to be one huge thrill!!! Im actually debating buying a GoPro to film the first ride.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yeah I hear ya I really like my 07, it actually got me on board with Polaris it's a great bike. I liked it so much bought a brand new machine and I still rebuilt this old one. I hated the cast aluminum it was such a mud and dirt collector so I etched it up real good and used VHT epoxy stain chassis paint. Came out good and much easier to clean

1 - 20 of 61 Posts