Polaris ATV Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts
Hey Madman

I'm not too familiar with the front hilliard clutches as mine have been working fine so far. (knock on wood!) One of the biggest issues that I've read is what was already stated , to clean them as good as you can. Most of the time it just needs a drain ,refill, ride a little ,drain and refill again , then your good.

I would suggest making sure your connections from the 4x4 switch to the clutches are good and clean. By wiggling the handle bars and then your clutch releases ,makes me think of a weak connection somewhere.

Sorry I can't help much , but I will be watching your thread to see what you find. Good luck....

Discussion starter · #22 ·
clutch

Hey good ideas guys. I did drain the fluid and add fresh but I didn't think to remove clutch and totally clean her before adding fresh oil. It may just have some grime in it. i will def try this. Since I bought her used I have no idea if previous owner was good about routine maintenance. The air filter was clogged full of dirt dust made me think maybe he wasn't one for maintenance until something broke. Bike rides smooth and has strong motor. This is the only annoying thing about bike, the stupid left wheel sometimes dragging.

madman ..after you clean the hubs out an add fresh fliuds...take pod cover off....clean to 6 wired plug that goes into speedo....use electrical cleaner...then add a bit of die electric grease before you re insert it....be gentle taking it out....spray it an use a old tooth brush to clean..do plug an speedo...go lite on the spray to speedo...dont want any seep in as a possibility...see if this help...also clean the 2 plugs on left side i believe on the front diff....clean an grease....

little hint get a can of G5 Deoxit contact cleaner...little pricey but worth it..take a day an clean all plugs an sockets...then grease it....helps keep these gremlins away...good luck..keep us informed....

Discussion starter · #25 ·
Sportsman Front hubs update

It's been a while and just wanted to report my 2000 sportsman 500 AWD is working good again. I ended up replacing all the bearing and seals in both front hubs and replacing the fluid. My manual says you can use Polaris drive fluid or ATF, so I opted for ATF since I had some on hand and it's cheap. Both sides had a leaky seal and every time I drove in mud water they would fill with nasty mud water contaminate the hub fluid creating a muck stew inside hub and making my front right hub lock up intermittently. I removed all the bearings and seals and the Hilliard clutch assembly. I had to unbolt the A-arm, disconnect the tie rod end, and I removed mounting nut on top of strut to easily pop out the front axles from the struts. I sprayed the Hilliard clutch down with parts cleaner to remove the debris and reinstalled everything, including fresh fluid. She runs good now, but what PITA to do. I pray the seals don't fail again any time soon. These Polaris front hubs are a complicated mess IMO. All is good now tho. Hope my photos help someone attempting to service their quad. Sorry I didn't upload any photos of the clutch itself. FYI; DO NOT disassemble the Hilliard clutch. If you stretch out the retaining spring that holds all the bearings and guts inside it won't work properly. These things are very expensive to replace. Keep your fluids fresh and clean and you shouldn't have to ever replace them.

Attachments

21 - 25 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.