Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have rebuilt the engine with crank, block and pistons. Now using oil. 700 miles and added 2 quarts total in 2 different fills. Couldn't find any leak, so decided to check muffler outlet and found that it is passing the pistons and blowing out. Haven't let it go completely dry.

Would it need new rings or can it be worse? Our quad season is maybe month and a half or 2, would it be safe to keep topping off until the season is done or should I stop using it til get new rings? Or am I in already for worse?

EDIT-sorry, forgot to add tried doing comp test but my tester cannot fit small spark plug and couldn't find one. Quad seems to run fine other then the oil usage.

·
Registered
220 Posts
2 quarts in 700 miles is excessive I'd say. You'd get some initial burn off as the rings set I'd guess.

With 2 months left, I'd tear it down again and see what's going on. You never know, it might get worse, and you're season ruined for a bit. Tear down and assemble should and could be done in a few days or less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,636 Posts
How extensive was your rebuild? Bore the cylinder oversize? New piston and rings? Just a hone job with the old piston and rings? I would consider that kind of oil use excessive. Probably should tear it down sooner rather than later. A few days out of service is better than taking a chance on blowing it up.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. Had to do a crank, piston and block replacement. My first 4stroke rebuild so maybe I didn't do the rings properly? Just ordered a set of rings and will park it til rings get here. Stayed with standard bore.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Thanks guys. Had to do a crank, piston and block replacement. My first 4stroke rebuild so maybe I didn't do the rings properly? Just ordered a set of rings and will park it til rings get here. Stayed with standard bore.

I never did an ATV but been in the car business forever and plenty of engine builds on cars and race cars.

Those rings @ first crank need to sit tight and that cylinder lubed super good until those rings set. Same with an outboard.

For sheeets and giggles, try a compression check comparison. Something tells me you got some clearance you're not needing. Maybe the rings didn't set right. Possibly got too hot and cracked which allows oil to seep thru ?

Like I said earlier, that's excessive oil. Something went wrong I'd think. Take the head off and see. I wouldn't chance it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts