Polaris ATV Forum banner

Recoil/pull start 2015 sportsman 400

2K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  kastner03 
#1 ·
I have tried searching but for some reason the search does not work and Google doesn't seem to find anything. A couple years ago I bought a new 2015 sportsman 400. Nothing fancy, just for hunting. It only gets ridden a couple times a year. Last year the battery was dead but was able to replace under warranty. Fast forward to last month I go to start it and the new battery is dead, charged it and everything was good that weekend then last weekend it was dead again. I know letting it sit for extended periods of time they will drain but not having a backup pull start is annoying. Does anyone know if there is an aftermarket pull start kit for these? I keep the bike 4 hours away so I don't ride regularly and spends most of the time sitting. Was thinking about putting a battery maintainer on it but so don't like the fact that there is no backup in case the battery dies and there is no way to start it

#3 ·
I have tried searching but for some reason the search does not work and Google doesn't seem to find anything. A couple years ago I bought a new 2015 sportsman 400. Nothing fancy, just for hunting. It only gets ridden a couple times a year. Last year the battery was dead but was able to replace under warranty. Fast forward to last month I go to start it and the new battery is dead, charged it and everything was good that weekend then last weekend it was dead again. I know letting it sit for extended periods of time they will drain but not having a backup pull start is annoying. Does anyone know if there is an aftermarket pull start kit for these? I keep the bike 4 hours away so I don't ride regularly and spends most of the time sitting. Was thinking about putting a battery maintainer on it but so don't like the fact that there is no backup in case the battery dies and there is no way to start it
Try out a different option like a second batterry with isolator. Run you less than 200$ altogether.
Thanks, got any links or a part list?

#4 ·
I carry a little jump box with me in whatever I'm driving. I have the Halo Bolt 57720 and it's amazing! I've jump started everything with this thing. I keep one in my ATV's box and have been able to help numerous people that have had your problem. I know it isn't a solution as far as the bike goes, but it's something to consider. I only have to charge it every 3 or 4 months. It will also charge my cell phone, GPS and tablet and has a work light. It's pretty handy and comes in several colors like black, blue, etc. Good luck with your problem! I added a picture so you can see what I'm referring too. Allison W.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#6 ·
I bought a stinger isolator 80amp $15, Grounding wire , 2 fuses about 8$ each, second batterry 60$. Should charge both batterries when bike is on and always keep main battery isolated and chatged when bike is off. I will install it this week as soon as i have time. I am doing it because its a pain to jump a dead batt. I will be able to listen to radio with bike off. Radio will only run off second battery when bike is off. If it dies then the primary should stay charge and turn your bike on.

#10 ·
... the 2nd battery idea is a good one but it probably won't help the op at all since it sits for months at a time he'll just end up with 2 dead batteries
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No he won't, he would have the 2nd one with him, always charged up before he heads to the deer lease. Plus having it on hand it can be used for whomever needs it back home.

OP - you can also go with an even lower cost solution with a HF 12v solar charger, about $14. All my buddies on the lease use those, some don't come but once/twice a year and the quads fire right up. Luck and enjoy the hunting! :cowboy:

#11 ·
I do have an extra battery tinder (same as pictured) I was going to mount and that way i can just plug it in whenever is not in use. I was just more worried about being stranded with no way to start if I'm far away from camp. Not sure why they didn't put pull starts on the 400s. Think I will go ahead and order the little jump box and keep it with me anytime I go out

Attachments

#12 ·
Well if all u were worried about was being stranded in the field, then the second battery is used for that reason. You will always have a charge in your main battery, so your bike fires right up. Most boats have second batteries, as well as RV's. I did it because its very convenient and it works. The portable battery charger is a good idea also, if your battery is easy to get to.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.