Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am needing tires for my 2001 Sportsman. Well, the fronts for sure soon. I don't know where to start or what to look for, or whether to replace all 4 at once?

I will be using the machine for just casual riding in woods/pastures. Pulling kids in snow, and possibly plowing snow in the future. But I will also be riding on roads some just going to friends houses. No plans for mudding or any real extreme off road stuff.

So, what tires will offer decent (off road) traction and not wear out quickly with some driving on the roads?

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Maxxis big horns.

/thread

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
I went with the GBC Grim Reapers. I don't have much mud around here and the tires do great for my riding conditions. They have worked better than stock tires, esp when plowing snow. Lots of good tires out there.

·
Registered
275 Posts
First are you running the stock 10 inch rear rims? I replaced all 4 tires on mine as the front tires were the only ones that needed replacing also. I also found a pair of stock rear 12 inch rims on ebay. Than went with the Pitbull Growlers for I could have better tires than stock for all terrain and still stay stock width.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do have stock rims and original tires. I keep my eye out for 'take offs' and just get another pair of rims. That leads me to another question. What size rims can I go up to - such as take offs from newer sportsmans?

·
Registered
275 Posts
I do have stock rims and original tires. I keep my eye out for 'take offs' and just get another pair of rims. That leads me to another question. What size rims can I go up to - such as take offs from newer sportsmans?
You will just need to replace the rear rims.The best I have figured out is any rim from a Polaris in the 12inch size. Main thing is the 4/156 bolt pattern.Just about all 400,500,600,700,and maybe the 800 since 2002 has the 12 inch wheels that will work. You can even use the stock 14 inch wheels as long as the bolt pattern is the same. Now if you go aftermarket rims you can go with a little wider front tire without rubbing. With stock rims some 9 inch wide tires will rub the tie rod ends.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts