Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
juste noticed after some hard riding at night that the whole exhaust on my scrambler get red hot alot... is that considered normal? after a couple minutes of idle it get back to ''normal''(not glowing red)

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I really don't think so, that's getting hot......suggest you buy a egt gage XD

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
hmm, can't imagine that's normal but the other scrammy guys should be able to tell you if they've ever seen it.. I would think something in the combustion process is out of whack to cause that..

·
Premium Member
10,590 Posts
have u been in any mud lately? my guess would be a partially clogged exhaust.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
no, I almost don't do any mudding

other than that the bike operate just fine, no backfire, sputtering or anything, the engine pull strong as it should.
also, it get red from the headers to the end of the muffler, so the whole exhaust system

·
Registered
93 Posts
no, I almost don't do any mudding

other than that the bike operate just fine, no backfire, sputtering or anything, the engine pull strong as it should.
also, it get red from the headers to the end of the muffler, so the whole exhaust system
Getting red all the way to the end of the muffler indicates a problem. My singles like my WR450 and DR200 both glow red in the pipe only. It freaked me out as well but I found out its normal. I would pull and read the spark plugs to make sure you are not lean for starters. A blocked exhaust would cause a big performance loss.I'm out on my bike today and will report back.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Only time ive ever seen that was from in proper jetting on a raptor 660. like black max said pull the plugs and see if its running lean. maybe your sucking air somewere causing a lean condition. mine has never once gotten red.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Get some marshmallows, then rip and roast !

Other than that, I don't know.

Maybe the other guys will have S'more ideas.

·
Registered
49 Posts
X2, sounds lean to me. Even the head pipe should never get that hot on anything.
I agree

Partially plugged carb jets are not that uncommon given the fact a lot of ATV's sit part of the year without being run. That would make it lean and increase exhaust temps.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Sounding like the exhaust is partially stopped up. How is the flow pressure out of the muffler? Take the spark arrestor out and see if it is clogged.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sounding like the exhaust is partially stopped up. How is the flow pressure out of the muffler? Take the spark arrestor out and see if it is clogged.
it flow good.

maybe I will continue to ride it as is... exhaust looks good, plugs read good and are in good condition, airbox and filter are good and engine pull strong :dunno:

maybe just on thing, at what rpm are you running at WOT? I have seen a couple of posts saying the clutching on the sportsman and the scrambler is the same but I don't think so, in one post someone was saying his sportsman sun at 6500rpm at WOT... my scrambler run around 7300rpm

1 - 14 of 14 Posts