Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well this might be a bit strange on this site, but I am curious about this. I come from a background of riding sleds and sport quads, and losing weight off the machines was always such a hot topic of discussion. I have yet really to read anything on this site that even talks about this, and maybe there is a reason? Anyways I was curious if anyone has ever put forth an effort to try and lighten up these very heavy quads? I read so much about adding weight with aceesories and heavy large tires etc. I will be riding my Spoptsman 570 like a sport quad, not jumping and track riding, but just fast paced trail romps. I know it couldn't hurt to lose a few lbs off the quad, and myself for that matter! one area could be aluminum vs the stock steel wheels and also an exhaust. If anyone has ever done anything like this let me know. I know sometimes it doesnt seem like much, but cutting a little weight here and there can add up overall. Lighter is faster!

·
Registered
815 Posts
I think it's mainly the motor trans and diffs that weigh these down so much. I can't think of anything to reduce weight other than tires and wheels. The lightest tire and wheel combo you can find will really improve acceleration and braking.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
I believe the reason you don't see much about loosing weight on these machines is due to the "intended use". As they are not race machines but rather all terrain / utility quads, you'll find most all of the owners use them in such a manner. The chasis on these are not set up for racing or jumping (multpile heavy impacts)..... as you may read threads about broken suspension welds when people do abuse them in such a way.

As for weight you could loose..... 1) the plastics could be trimmed, depending on how much "protection" from flying mud debris you'd like. 2) head light and tail light assemblies. 3) remove the racks. But really all of this will gain (or looses) you little to nothing.... maybe a couple pounds at most. Doesn't sound like it's worth it to me, for what you would loose in looks/styling and resale.... but it's not my machine!!

As for the rider...... try a few less cookies and soda. Diet and exercise are key!! :dunno:

Moral of the story...... "If you want a race quad, buy a race quad!" :D

Good Luck :fing02:

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All valid points above, I guess I should have said quicker not faster. And I already have a race quad, and it's old news to me, I'm over it. Lighter is quicker as in corner to corner going through the trails. Not trying to trim plastics and such, but the lighter rims and tires could be a place to lose some weight, especially rotational mass. Maybe a lightweight battery as well, to lose weight and gain some cranking power. And to MustBeNice, my jumping days are loooooong over with haha!

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Since there really isn't much weight that can be trimmed, I'd recommend talking to member "Ridinagain" about a QSC clutch kit. To help get the power to the ground more efficiently for the way you'd like it to perform. :dunno:

Do you "ride hard" for strictly fun or pure sport (enduro / woods cross, ect.)? As "trimming weight" sounds like something a track or woods racer would be looking to do. :dunno:

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Since there really isn't much weight that can be trimmed, I'd recommend talking to member "Ridinagain" about a QSC clutch kit. To help get the power to the ground more efficiently for the way you'd like it to perform. :dunno:

Do you "ride hard" for strictly fun or pure sport (enduro / woods cross, ect.)? As "trimming weight" sounds like something a track or woods racer would be looking to do. :dunno:
Oh it's just for fun, I've always done this on my other quads and snowmobiles. It's not a big deal, was just curious. I definitely am going to do the clutch kit though.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Lighter is faster

Try Kevlar on the winch for a few less pound. Swamp lites are a light tire that chew though most anything!

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Something I thought about when I 1st bought mine. Coming from MX bikes and sleds. Didn't take me long to decide there wasn't really much you can do. I will probably put a clutch kit in at some point.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Something I thought about when I 1st bought mine. Coming from MX bikes and sleds. Didn't take me long to decide there wasn't really much you can do. I will probably put a clutch kit in at some point.
Yup, a clutch kit will at least make it more responsive. We're you disappointed at all in your 800 after riding bikes?

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I ain't gonna lie. You can never make up for the torque of a 2 stroke. I have plenty of fun on the utility atv tho for sure. Just a different kind of riding is all. I really enjoy the tight woods stuff, climbing logs, rocks, and the occasional mud hole. And ripping up some forest/logging roads in 2 wd is also a blast!

·
Registered
157 Posts
I ain't gonna lie. You can never make up for the torque of a 2 stroke. I have plenty of fun on the utility atv tho for sure. Just a different kind of riding is all. I really enjoy the tight woods stuff, climbing logs, rocks, and the occasional mud hole. And ripping up some forest/logging roads in 2 wd is also a blast!
Torque of a two stroke? Since when? I do understand wanting to lighten up your 800 though. I was thinking I might remove my winch,front and rear bumpers and convert my dual mufflers to single. I figure I can shave off maybe 60-70 lbs.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
You know what I mean....
Edit: by torque that is...gues I should have said responsiveness

·
Registered
505 Posts
Buy a scrambler!!

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

·
Registered
505 Posts
Try Kevlar on the winch for a few less pound. Swamp lites are a light tire that chew though most anything!
I have swamp lites and im pretty impressed with them for a all round tire. I always have it in the back of my mind to get different ones but im not sure as to what would perform as well as these. I've been through everything and these have ywt to let me down. A lot of my riding is in 2wd cause i like being the guy that goes through in 2wd and make everyone say wow!! Lol

·
Registered
505 Posts
Thats what these quads are made for. Racing them is not what there meant for. I haven't been riding for a long time but i am so surprised as to what these things go through. And mines only a 500! I road with a guy last Sunday that had a 850 sportsman and a 1000cc scrambler and i did everything they did.

·
Registered
978 Posts
i 100% agree here. I come from riding fast sleds and jumping on a 4x4 wheeler just isnt the same but man do i still have fun!

·
Registered
978 Posts
another great light tire is maxxis zillas. thats what i run and really like em

1 - 18 of 18 Posts