Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched the forums and was surprised that I didn't find a thread on this, so here goes.

I have a 2012 XP850 HO and was wondering if I should burn regular gas or super. Any advice is welcome.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
does not hurt to use lower octane fuel if you use your 4 wheeler often, and if you don't it's important you treat the fuel with stabil, i use high octane because around here it contains no ethanol.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
I searched the forums and was surprised that I didn't find a thread on this, so here goes.

I have a 2012 XP850 HO and was wondering if I should burn regular gas or super. Any advice is welcome.

Thanks
Your owners manual will say what octane gas to use, and using anything over the recommended octane is just a waste of money.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I believe you'll find it to be 87 octane. I agree with Vandal about the higher octane and believe that you should run the octane recommended by the manufacturer, no more, no less. There are a number of reasons they chose that octane and it wasn't by using a dart board.

·
Registered
425 Posts
The only nonethaenol fuel we have around here is 92. Overkill and expensive but not having "cornahol" in my system is worth it. I can let it sit around awhile and nothing happens to it. If you can get the non corn gas i'd use that.

·
Registered
50 Posts
The only nonethaenol fuel we have around here is 92. Overkill and expensive but not having "cornahol" in my system is worth it. I can let it sit around awhile and nothing happens to it. If you can get the non corn gas i'd use that.
What specific problems does the ethanol present? I run 87 in mine and it has the "up to 10%" ethanol added to it and I have always wondered if that could damage my engine in any way.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,461 Posts
i run 87 in all my small engines and treat it with a ethonal/stabilizer additive. there are a couple on the market and i vary the manufacture but pick from the reputable ones. sta-bil, lucas, and star-tron are the ones i have used. they also give u a little bump on the throttle side of things with a little added mpg. all-in-all i think they are a good deal.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I had heard that the pumps say "up to 10% ethanol" because the low grade has 10, premium has 0%, and mid grade is a mix of the two.

Yes, I could run on 87 octane...but I could also wipe my butt with old newspaper...both meet bare minimum...but I choose to exceed bare minimum. I have nothing against those that run in 87...or those that wipe their butt with news paper...:rotflmao:

Sean

·
Registered
50 Posts
I had heard that the pumps say "up to 10% ethanol" because the low grade has 10, premium has 0%, and mid grade is a mix of the two.

Yes, I could run on 87 octane...but I could also wipe my butt with old newspaper...both meet bare minimum...but I choose to exceed bare minimum. I have nothing against those that run in 87...or those that wipe their butt with news paper...:rotflmao:

Sean
I did some searching and some are saying premium has higher levels (10%) of ethanol than regular. Not sure on the source though. Here is one but there are others you will find with similar opinions. http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080401121541AAVGbxw

·
Registered
294 Posts
The easiest way to raise octane is to add alcohol (aka ethanol). Look at the various octane boosters you can buy and you'll see that they are mainly alcohol.

·
Registered
50 Posts
The easiest way to raise octane is to add alcohol (aka ethanol). Look at the various octane boosters you can buy and you'll see that they are mainly alcohol.
That is what I have been reading. Basically they use ethanol to raise the octane rating. That could mean that the high octane has more ethanol than low.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
^^^^^^Exactly......Also gasoline with 10% blend of ethanol has been around for many years now. Don't you think Manufacturers are taking that into consideration when they design their engines. I have run the blended fuels for years now in atv, mowers, weed eaters,etc with no additives and no problems whatsoever

·
Registered
94 Posts

Sean
You OBVIOUSLY have never tried using newspaper aka 600grit sandpaper have you??? LOL

·
Registered
294 Posts
^^^^^^Exactly......Also gasoline with 10% blend of ethanol has been around for many years now. Don't you think Manufacturers are taking that into consideration when they design their engines. I have run the blended fuels for years now in atv, mowers, weed eaters,etc with no additives and no problems whatsoever

OEM parts since about 2005 should all be tested to withstand ethanol but that doesn't necessarily mean that they do. I'm sure they're doing more and more of it to avoid warranty costs.

marzillo, ethanol aborbs water like a sponge and is also hell on plastic and rubber not specifically compounded to withstand it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I guess I'll have to do more research on what the best practices is when it comes to gasoline. Do I use regular or super? Do I need to use an additive and why? I really don't know myself and it seems there are many conflicting opinions.:ponder: For now, I will continue what I have been doing and that is to use regular in all my machines big and small. I may try Sea Foam as that gets quite a bit of props everywhere I look.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I don't believe the octane is as big an issue as the ethanol, IMHO. I use 92 octane w/o ethanol in every small motor I own, from chain saws, weed wackers , generators, lawn mowers, ATVs ,UTVs, pressure washers and tillers. Never had a problem with starting any even after setting up for months. I use the 92 octane even if its more expensive because I don't use that much. If you consume lots of fuel think, about 87 octane but make sure it's ethanol free. Also use non ethanol in my car 87 oct. get about 2-3 mpg more. Just an opinion and my experience. Good luck

·
Registered
679 Posts
I don't believe the hype. Maybe because I live in a dry climate? I don't know. I leave low grade gas in my chainsaw, lawn mower, weed whacker, cars, whatever for months/years and never have had a problem. The sky is falling!! Better go by a $10 bottle of rubbing alcohol to save my gas. No thanks, beer please.:veryhappy:

·
Registered
13 Posts
In my 850 sportsman I run premium. for all the more I ride it doesn't add up to that much more and while the manual says 87 is ok in my mind anything with that much compression should have 93 octane.

In my suzuki z400 and grizzly 350 I run sunoco standard 110 leaded. Not because they need it to run but as much as they sit between getting ridden the race gas has a lot better shelf life. I have found on my carb'd machines that if pump gas is over about two weeks old they run like garbage. The race gas was just my lazy mans solution to keeping fresh gas in them.

I haven't had any trouble with old gas in my fuel injected 850 or in my fuel injected street motorcycle.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts