Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hear people talking of re-jetting the carb but realistically how much H.P. can you gain and how much do you feel in the throttle? Need some real world comparison to determine if I really want to so it, specifically relating to my 2003 500HO,...Thanks/B]

·
Registered
62 Posts
First do you have a better filter and do you have a better exhaust? Just did my 2001 500HO I would say it was worth it for the $50 I spent on the kit new needle and jet real easy to do runs smother and better throttle response from idle to full would also throw a new plug in at the same time I have a new uni filter and custom exhaust so that helps when all three work together

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
378 Posts
What did you do to your machine to justify a re-jet? To just say "I am going to re-jet my carb just for the hell of it" Will not benefit you anything except problems. No HP gains...nada.... Stock Polaris machines are set a bit rich and there is a reason for that. If you could give us some more insight on your reasoning, then I am sure we can give you a better Idea. :) Liftedcamotony is pointing out some starting points.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have nothing thus far. I understand along with better intake and better exhaust a re-jet all work together. I was asking for more info like what is to be expected realistically if I were to re-jet
What did you do to your machine to justify a re-jet? To just say "I am going to re-jet my carb just for the hell of it" Will not benefit you anything except problems. No HP gains...nada.... Stock Polaris machines are set a bit rich and there is a reason for that. If you could give us some more insight on your reasoning, then I am sure we can give you a better Idea. :) Liftedcamotony is pointing out some starting points.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I have done some re-jetting to a couple of my machines in my earlier days and I say yes it did help with the responsiveness of the machine. It did breath better after exhaust, air filter/box mods. Not to mention that I thoroughly cleaned the carb and that in itself was a noticeable change. So as stated earlier, you should do the exhaust and air box/filter to start seeing some changes. As for HP? Couldn't tell ya. I couldn't even make an educated guess. Hopefully someone can help with that one....:)

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
As stated before polaris's as a whole run a lil rich,inspect the spark plug.
I have an '03 500 ho as well. and had to buy a rebuild kit a few years back and the main jet that was supplied with the kit was a 155, it had a 152.5 in the carb. originally. I put the 155 in it to see if it would make any difference. The spark plug stated turning black......so too rich. Put the old main jet back in .....spark plug is tan to dark tan, so good enough . I am running stock paper filter and sock, original muffler.
What you need to keep in mind ,as far as jetting goes, is the main jet really only work at 3/4 to full throttle.
Personally, if you were to have some head work done-port & polish, you might need some jet- slash carb. work but in stock form where there's no mountains,i doubt it.
Also, one in my riding group, has an '09 500HO, and put a K & N filter in his and runs fine.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have an '03 500 ho as well. and had to buy a rebuild kit a few years back and the main jet that was supplied with the kit was a 155, it had a 152.5 in the carb. originally. I put the 155 in it to see if it would make any difference. The spark plug stated turning black......so too rich. Put the old main jet back in .....spark plug is tan to dark tan, so good enough . I am running stock paper filter and sock, original muffler.
What you need to keep in mind ,as far as jetting goes, is the main jet really only work at 3/4 to full throttle.
Personally, if you were to have some head work done-port & polish, you might need some jet- slash carb. work but in stock form where there's no mountains,i doubt it.
Also, one in my riding group, has an '09 500HO, and put a K & N filter in his and runs fine.
Thank you, exactly the information I was looking for. That helps me determine why (I don't need) to re-jet. No benefit at to my stock machine. Thanks again

·
Registered
378 Posts

Totally agree! The only way you will see any HP differences is to make engine mods that would require more fuel. Did a few 4 strokes but the 2 strokes were even more extreme when you did this. Heads milled, flywheels lightened, carbs bored out, reeds reworked, porting, bores etc.......

1 - 8 of 8 Posts