Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After seeing many voltage regulator rectifier failures due to location, just purchased a longer harness. Where have you relocated it to? Thinking of inside the cab, upper seat area, (have full doors). Pictures, pros and cons. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
7,573 Posts
I don't think the failures are due to location as much as inferior design!!! I believe the engineers put it in it's factory location to keep it away from heat and where it gets the most cooling.

·
Registered
5,524 Posts
I've never seen a rec/reg fail from ambient (external) heat - they usually fail due to internal heat and the failure of the solid state components selected for the construction that are only marginally capable of handling the current. Seldom see the regulator fail - it's usually the diodes in the rectifier section.

I have replaced rec/reg on all brands of quads, motorcycles, scooters and snowmobiles. The unit may be located in a closed compartment (most scooters), right in the air (in front of the engine on most Harley's) or somewhat shielded (most quads and snowmobiles). They fail in summer and winter. I contribute most failures of rec/reg's to poor battery maintenance and add-on accessory current draw with the balance to unit failure.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just replaced a failed unit on my Pioneer at 1900 miles which was passing 18 volts and bulged the battery. Taking proactive measure to move the ACE unit as it really gets caked in mud, which negates the cooling fins. Must be a problem as longer aftermarket harnesses are being sold. Not a big deal, but some piece of mind.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I think the OE regulator’s are junk and the other big name RM****** is junk too. Before you buy another consider this...
https://youtu.be/WYj6L1IESr8

Yes this link show’s the regulator for a RZR but they modified the harness and sold me one for my Sportsman 570. All the same, 50 amp/ 3 phase, only harness lengths vary. I believe they are in production right now. They are over built which is what these machines need. A little more money, but we’ll worth it.

·
Registered
5,524 Posts
Any 3 phase rec/reg can be adapted to almost any 3 phase charging system - certain charging systems that are integrated with other electrical system functions may be difficult to impossible to adapt, but........

I have adapted Honda rec/reg to Linhai products, Ford automotive alternator and rec/reg replacing the DC generator on Case tractors and (my favorite); I had the alternator of my 72 Triumph Bonneville rewound from a single phase to a 3 phase, changed the electrical system from a positive ground to a negative ground and installed a Yamaha rec/reg because it fit the location better than other shapes. I did that around 1999 and it still functions fine today.

I think the Rick's unit is a quality design and a 10 gauge wire will handle 70 amps at 13 volts, but what good is it to have a a rec/reg wired for 70 amps if the wire in the vehicle's wiring harness is only good for 5 amps? And fused at 50 amps? The fuse is to protect the wire, so the rec/reg is protected, but the wiring harness will burn up. That part is advertising hype.

Just get a rec/reg for a Honda Goldwing, change the wiring connectors to plug it in to the Polaris wiring harness and find a place to mount it.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Either one you still have OE harness. What is cost of Honda VR? Also, most people don’t do this stuff(re-wiring) for a living like you. Sounds like we agree OE VR no good.

·
Registered
715 Posts
As far as what good is it being rated at 70 amps for a 50 amp system this is their reply-
“Correct - the system will only produce 50 amps so the fuse protects you on that. The reason we made a 70 amp unit is because you don't want it running at 100% capacity all the time - it would prematurely fail. With our 70 amp unit, you're running at about 70% of the duty cycle capability. So you put less stress on the components & they will last longer”.

I won’t debate you Latebird on that as you obviously have more experience with this stuff.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
First purchased one On internet, UP2 $38, and it was defective, got refund. Honda OEM was $100 and works fine. Polaris ACE extended harness just arrived and going to relocate its VR/R by left shoulder inside cab.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cable did not fit

Ordered relocation cable from RM****, plugs did not fit even though the detailed fitment list included 2017 ACE 570. Anyone one found one?
Did not fit. “Relocation Harness for Polaris RZR 900 / 1000 ACE Sportsman General Ranger 2013-2018”

·
Registered
715 Posts
That websites a joke. Went through all that with them. When you click on “Fitment” sure enough you’ll see your machine there. I even called and they verbally confirmed fitment. Harness length was 1/2 what it should have been.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How long ago was that? I also emailed them snap shots of same fitment errors also advertised on ebay, and requested my return shipping costs be refunded as it was their error. We’ll see what RM$tator does.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Got this email today. Just posting for others to be cautious about fitment listings.
“Your item has successfully arrived at our warehouse. A customer representative will notify you as soon as your request has been processed. Please allow us 3-5 business days to treat your request.

We thank you for your patience and look forward to providing you our highest standard of quality service.

Kind regards,
RM STATOR”

1 - 15 of 15 Posts