Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to replace the gasket that resides below the block that encases the pistons slightly. This block is located below the cylinder head. I need to know how to remove the block so that I can replace the gasket as I feel that is where my problem lies.

Thanks,

Cam

·
11,953 Posts
You're talking about the cylinder(s). What are you working on? You probably should have a manual if you've never done this before.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a manual. I am unsure if I am explaining this correctly, however it does not seem to house very much of the piston. Is this a cylinder? I don't know. Will I need to remove the rings off of the piston to remove this? I don't know. It is a Polaris Sportsman 700. So it is dual cylinder.

If much more work is required to remove this, then do you think that the gasket I have is in fact not for that? I cannot see anywhere else it would belong to.

When I took the cylinder head off, there was no evidence of damage. Slight browing around a cylinder, but nothing to indicate leakage. Every other route that would create this issue has been covered.

If a small puddle of antifreeze forms under the bike after a few days with the oil plug removed, and the oil becomes milky while running almost immediately, this in fact would indicate a head gasket yes? Or am I correct to assume that there may in fact be a problem that lies below the head gasket. Specifically in the gasket, below the block that houses a small part of the piston. It makes sense that that would be the cylinder, as there are two bores in it that allow the pistons to translate through it. I may have been thrown off due to its lack in size.

Could I fill the coolant journals at this stage in tear down in order to see if the leak persists? That way it could identify if the issue does lie below the current stage.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
There are 6 bolts about 10" long that hold the head and cylinder down. And one bolt on the right side at the back in a tab on the cylinder. You also need to unbolt the exhaust head pipe, remove the coolant hose from the thermostat housing, and unplug the temp sensor next to that, and unplug fuel injectors if it's EFI and remove carb/throttle body intake boot. Go to this link and plug in your model info and look under "engine, cylinder and cylinder" head for a blow up of the parts.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have done all that you have suggested already. I think that I need to tap the cylinder with a rubber mallot. When I lift the cylinder, I know I need to support the pistons, but upon reassembly, will I need to do anything special to make the rings fit back into the cylinder bores?

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Yep the gasket sticks good to the cylinder and crank case. you will need to tap it and work it loose a little, then it will slide right up and off. You will need another set of hands to put it back together to help compress piston rings to fit them back into the cylinders.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts