Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I'm going to be doing some R&R on the front tires of my step son's Coolster 110cc kid quad. it's got 7" rims. Now, I used to work for a tire shop so this isn't my first rodeo, but I was wondering who else does their own tire mounting, and what tools and techniques they use to do it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
i use something very similar to this i got it when my kids raced go karts i found it works on atv tires also then lube up the beads big time to get them to seat all the way, dont get in a big hurry to seat the beads they will slowly climb up the rim just give them a little air at a time them wait then some more until u get a little pop then its all the way, we used to put the go kart tire in a 5 gallon pail to seat the beads also lol

Attachments

·
Registered
7,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I'll be building something Very similar to that to break the bead. but I've also seen people put wood or metal on the tire and than just drive onto it. or just jump like crazy on the tire. others have use hammers and prybars and any number of makeshift devices.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I hear the 2x4 and driving on it works. But if it was me, id look up my old tire shop buddys and have them do it. Its soo much faster than doing it the hard way!

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
I use a jack all under a truck bumper to break the bead.

The btire bars to do the rest. Then the ratchet straptrick to seat the bead.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had a nice 2x8 about 2 feet long and did the drive on and it worked fine. Go slow and have someone watch to make sure the tire isnt staying in place and not sliding away. Other than that no probs.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
I use a jack all under a truck bumper to break the bead.

The btire bars to do the rest. Then the ratchet straptrick to seat the bead.

I use this also... In my case its a Hi-Lift Jack form one of my Jeeps. The steel base is a perfect shape for this purpose. Then tire spoons I have a number of them from 24'' to little 12'' I keep in the quad for trail fixes. Longer are a little better. Soapy water in a spray bottle and my CO2 bottle for air because it offers a ton of volume compared to my compressor to help seat the beads.

I do big Jeep 35/36'' tires too right in the driveway.

CW

1 - 7 of 7 Posts