Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the point on removing them other than makes quad a little louder? And can it cause any damage to motor? I've always wonder and seen someone asked about louder pipes and more quite pipes.

·
Banned
2,338 Posts
Sound mostly
And helps to free up flow also since its not bottlenecked

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Its speed placebo. People think its faster or has better throttle response.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well its removed sounds the same but they are out. I might go for a ride later today but I don't see how it's going to change anything.

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
No, you can't remove the baffle - you can remove the spark arrester, but it won't change the sound - it just means you can't ride in certain areas without it - well....... it means if you ride certain areas without it and start a fire you could be held liable for all damages and the cost of fighting the fire. A louder exhaust will not make you faster, but you will think you are going faster. I guess it's a mind thing.

I race a 2004 CRF250X with a stock exhaust and while the bike is quiet, I still out run my friends with similar bikes that they have changed the exhaust and rejetted the carb for more speed and power. Those who got more power can't use it and those that just got louder; I prefer to keep them behind me so I don't have to listen to them. It's not the bike, it's the rider! I have one friend who races a CRF450 and while his bike definitely has more power, I can still outrun him in the woods. If we get on an MX track he runs away from me, but in the woods the 250 is more nimble and controllable. It doesn't do any good to have more horsepower if you can't use it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yeah i understand your point! I do not like extremely loud machines, but a bit louder than stock just to make it sing a little is nice

·
Premium Member
2,393 Posts
What it does is annoy everyone around, scare off all the wildlife and devalue the machine.
AND, it gets trails closed in some areas, especially where go through, or by, populated areas. Most folks don't like loud.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It is a spark arrester and by removeing it, you can loose a little power. The engine needs a little back pressure to operate properly, and by removing the spark arrester you can loose a little power, it's a
no-win.

·
Premium Member
1,273 Posts
AND, it gets trails closed in some areas, especially where go through, or by, populated areas. Most folks don't like loud.
And it generates revenue for the DNR from fines.....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts