Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Curious what methods you use to remove ball joints.

I tried a new, homemade puller. 3/8 ‐24 rod coupling welded to some all thread. Two nuts, one of them welded on. A heavy plate washer and a piece of 1.5" conduit

I install the puller, put some tension on it, then heat up the bottom of the strut.

After a couple mins of heat, I hear a few pops and the joints came out pretty easy

New joints were kept in the freezer awhile. I heat the strut, squirt some wd40 on the frozen ball joint, and push it in by hand. One the temps equalize, it fits in there nice and tight.

·
Registered
12,867 Posts
Similar, but reusable - I use a 3/4" threaded rod drilled and tapped to thread onto the ball joint, a length of 7/8" ID steel tubing and thick 3/4" inch flat washer - basically the same set up as you created, but a bit more versatile - I can screw an inch long piece of threaded rod into the end of the 3/4 inch rod that was previously drilled and tapped and attach thread reducing couplings to extract different size ball joints.

Here's a pic of the banjo fitting adapter I put together to use a grease gun to pump stuck pistons out of calipers and master cylinders. I also have an adapter to fit inverted flare line fittings for the same purpose.

No one has a patent on creativity and your puller is as good as any.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My first attempt failed at the weld between all thread and rod coupling. It was a nice looking weld but, that didn't matter.

2nd attempt is a really ugly weld. I burnt thru the rod coupling and just puddled weld material on. It worked.

If that failed, attempt # 3 was drill and tap. Wish I had a drill press.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Brilliant!

Similar, but reusable - I use a 3/4" threaded rod drilled and tapped to thread onto the ball joint, a length of 7/8" ID steel tubing and thick 3/4" inch flat washer - basically the same set up as you created, but a bit more versatile - I can screw an inch long piece of threaded rod into the end of the 3/4 inch rod that was previously drilled and tapped and attach thread reducing couplings to extract different size ball joints.

Here's a pic of the banjo fitting adapter I put together to use a grease gun to pump stuck pistons out of calipers and master cylinders. I also have an adapter to fit inverted flare line fittings for the same purpose.

No one has a patent on creativity and your puller is as good as any.
View attachment 142082

1 - 5 of 5 Posts