Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 sportsman 500 with about 52 hours on it. Service manual says to inspect the belt at 50. One, is it necessary to do this if I've been driving right and using low when I'm supposed to? Also what has to be removed to take the belt cover off? Can I remove just the footwells and get to it? Just trying to figure out before I do any unnecessary work. Thanks in advance.

·
11,250 Posts
Remove the seat, side panel and the couple rivets holding the rear fender to the frame under the seat. Then remove the 4 screws holding the foot well down but leave the foot well attached to the fenders. Remove the screws around the clutch cover and you should be able to pull out on the foot well and fenders to get enough room to slide the clutch cover out.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
The above sounds spot on...... but I find it easier to remove 4 more push rivets and remove the floor board too.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
If you're riding it properly like you say, I can't think of a good reasons to "inspect the belt" at 50 hours. Much if what they say is over kill to cover their butts.

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
If it aint broke, and you didn't smoke it, then let sleeping dogs lie. That being said its nice to pull it apart when you have nothing else to do so you know how it works as opposed to doing it when it has to be done and you are in a hurry. It will still have to be done but you will have done it once before so it will be easy.

·
Registered
434 Posts
belt should be find unless it wasnt aligned or shimmed right from factory i also find it easier just to remove the footwell

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got it done belt looked like new. It was easiest just taking the footwell off. Thanks for the help!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts