Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can't get the thing to start after sitting awhile. Drained the "bad gas" from the tank and saw a lot of debris in the tank, so thinking the carb needs a good cleaning. Got the 2004 service manual from a forum member, but it seems like the carbs are different????

Carb is loose, removed the 2 screws to disconnect the choke, but the throttle cable is still connected AND some other tube on the right of the machine which I think is for oil injection(?) that does not seem obvious how to disconnect.

Saw online mention of removing the throttle cable from the top and pulling it through, but that comes down from the throttle and then branches into 2 with I guess the other wire going to something for the oil on the right of the machine?

So, I still have 2 cables/tubes connected and I can not figure out the best way to get the carb off for dis-assembly ... that service manual is certainly not very helpful.

The carb on this little machine is certainly cause me more issues than any of my other machines.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have the 2004 Polaris Predator and it is pretty easy to get the carb off. Not sure if it is the same as the 2006. All I have to do to remove the trottle cable is remove two screws from the top of the carb and pull the cable right off.

The throttle cable does split into two, with one going to the carb and the other to the oil pump.

I loosen the clamp hoding the carb to the intake and am able to get the carb to come loose from the intake. This allows me more access to the top of the carb to take the throttle and choke off the carb and then remove it completely from the atv.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I saw the screws for the throttle linkage, but was not sure if that was a good idea to do on the bike or not. But I still have what I think is the oil tube running from the right side of the carb over to the right side of the bike. I can not see where this goes or how to disconnect it. It does not look the the typical fuel hose connect and the manual I have does not even show it.

Is the oil is injected into the carb on these things? Or is the hose thing something else?

Thanks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yeah, just remove the screws and pull the throttle linkage out. It will slide right out as one piece. This is the way I do it everytime. Just make sure it is lined up probably when installing it back There is a grove on the side of the linkage and it will only go in properly one way. I also test it before putting the carb all the way back on. Did not have it lined up once and the throttle did not work. Had to remove the carb to fix.

The oil injection on mine is on the opposite side and does not go through the carb.

I do have a hose that comes out of the top of the carb but it is plugged. I would just try to slide the hose off the carb.

There is a vacuum hose on the side of the carb, but it will slide right off as well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I too have the capped hose on the top. I guess I need to look a little more closely as the what the remaining hose is ... maybe it is a vacuum hose and not the oil infection.

Thanks for your help. Hope I can get it straightened out this weekend.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got carb off thanks to the info here. Cleaned but looked fine. Put everything back together and still won't fire. Tried squirting a little pre-mix gas in carb and plug hole. Nothing. Spark looks fine. Finally search here again and see mention of mud in exhaust ... we do not ride in mud, but decided to check anyway. Found that a bug had built a cocoon in the tail pipe (same happened on air vent on RV freshwater tanks a few months ago). Clear out the obstruction and the bike fired right up.

So aggravating, but seems like I am in the clear now. Thanks to this forum.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Seriously ??? A bug nest ???

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
yeah ... not sure what kind ... if a wasp or something else.

It was disgusting the brown and green gunk that finally broke loose out of the RV water vent ... which reminds me I still need to bleach that.

The one in the tail pipe was dried out, so the bug must have "finished" ... we just need to not let it sit so long :veryhappy:

We were driving it around the yard for awhile and then was switching to another kid and it lost all power. Daughter said, it is not poofing out the back enough ... which I ignored. Limped it back to the garage and then laid down with a flashlight again and found another chunk blocking the pipe. Scraped it out and then fired right up and I stuck a wire up in there and around while running, so hope I got it all. After that it was able to get this 185lb guy moving around the yard pretty quick. Should have listened to the 6YO expert ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts