Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m upgrading my Sportsman 850 with a CECCO front pinion cover.
Spent some time at YouTube U and the install seems straightforward.

However, I haven’t had any luck punching out the prop shaft yoke pin. I sprayed Rust Blaster liberally and tapped with a dowel punch, and a center punch. It doesn’t budge, unlike in the vids where people just pop it right out after a few taps.

Any tricks I’m not aware of? One side better to punch than the other? Special tools

Anxious to get it done and go riding.

·
Premium Member
2017 Sportsman 850SP
1,773 Posts
Palm nailer

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
7,090 Posts
Air hammer

Reactions: pcaster

·
12,682 Posts
It won't "tap" out. Use a BIG hammer and the appropriate sized drift punch and hit like you mean it.
Replace the roll pin with a 5/16" x 2 1/2" grade 8 bolt and lock nut to put it back together. Way better than beating on the pinion bearings and seals to get it apart next time IMO.

·
Premium Member
7,090 Posts
IMG_20201218_164057.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
It won't "tap" out. Use a BIG hammer and the appropriate sized drift punch and hit like you mean it.
Okay I’ll wail away on it. Just didn’t want to inadvertently break something.

Correct that I can punch it out from either end. I don’t see any head or other one-way out.

Also like the hardened bolt to button it back up. Makes sense.

·
Premium Member
7,090 Posts
Either way, use a air hammer, as it won't put stress on the bearing or case from using a BFH!

·
Premium Member
7,090 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Happy to report a hybrid of air hammer and banging a dowel punch got it done.

The air hammer got it started but soon the tapered-end chisel started binding as it drove down the center of the pin.

After that I used a mallet and tapped it almost out. Used a 5/16” bolt to pop it out.

All in all, a bit tedious but doing a little at a time it wasn’t enough to avoid doing the upgrade yourself.

The vexing pin

1 - 10 of 10 Posts