Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2019 Polaris sportsman 110. My engine revs up and won’t go back down. It has some slack in the throttle. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
8,401 Posts
Is the operator on the throttle body returning to the stop or is the cable preventing it from returning?

You could have a defective cable, throttle body or possible vacuum leak.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is the operator on the throttle body returning to the stop or is the cable preventing it from returning?

You could have a defective cable, throttle body or possible vacuum leak.
Are you talking about up on the handle bars or down by the motor?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok so I worked with the control on top of the handle bars. My throttle cable isn’t making my throttle cable holder touch the screw that’s sticking to to make it idle right. Do I need to tighten the cable or loosen it?

·
Registered
8,401 Posts
I'm trying to help you, but it appears you no basic knowledge of the machine.

The operator on the throttle body is the wheel the throttle cable attaches to on the throttle body - the throttle body is located in the place where a carburetor would be - it's basically a tube with a butterfly valve and a fuel injector inserted into it. When you operate the thumb throttle lever, it pulls on the cable which in turn pulls on the operator on the side of the throttle body. On the Chinese rudimentary fuel injection throttle body there is typically a 'throttle stop screw or casting' that the buttery fly valve operator rests against. The screw (if so equipped) can be adjusted to set the idle speed - on those with a cast throttle stop, a metal tab has to be bent to set the idle speed. On sophisticated EFI, the cable is connected to a control module and the cable from the thumb control connects to the module - the ECU determines idle speed and positions the cable to control the speed and as an increase in speed is called for, the module moves the cable in response to the input. Newer 'fly by wire' EFI's use a servo motor attached to the throttle body to turn the butterfly valve shaft and there is no cable connected to the throttle body or the thumb throttle. The thumb throttle has a variable resistor inside and as the resistance changes with changes in lever position, the ECU adjust the voltage to the servo motor and the servo motor sets the butterfly relative to the voltage at the thumb throttle and idle is determined by a preset value in the memory of the ECU.

Since the ATV you have has a rudimentary EFI, a cable pulls open the butterfly valve operator as the thumb throttle is advanced - if the idle is staying up after acceleration, either the cable is sluggish and the throttle hangs open or the butterfly valve shaft is binding and the return spring is not returning the operator back to the stop device or there is a vacuum leak bleeding uncontrolled air into the intake.

Now see if you can find the source of the problem - if you can't, then take it to a dealer or other repair shop and let a knowledgeable mechanic have a stab at it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No I have no basic knowledge of the machine. I’m not a mechanic that’s why I posted it on here. Thanks tho

1 - 6 of 6 Posts