Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2012 Sportsman 500 HO. Finished plowing the driveway tonight, and saw a giant puddle of oil under the machine. Was hoping it was the plug as it was just in for servicing at the dealership last week. No such luck. Left hand side of the machine. Is this going to be pricey? Or even worth it.

·
9,195 Posts
The camshaft adapter in your pic that has the crack is around $46 new or around $25 used. You'll need to open it up to see what failed and cracked it though. I'd suspect the compression release lever assembly #15 probably failed. Hopefully the cam itself is ok.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply. Is it possible that it was a freeze crack? It dropped down to -30C here and I was using it to plow the driveway. I actually didn't notice it running any different. It even fired up first crank and idled fine when looking for the leak. Once I saw where the oil was spewing out of, I turned it off and let her sit.

·
Premium Member
1,220 Posts
I don’t think there’s any coolant there to freeze, only oil.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So, parts are ordered. Should be here next week. One thing I was wondering is after the new camshaft is installed is there much of a break in period? I use this quad primarily to plow snow, and where we are there is ALOT of snow. Would that be hard on the camshaft?

·
Registered
137 Posts
This happened to me back in 2010, I posted pictures as well. Do a search on "Tech support question of the week Sportsman 500" Original post was on 2 -26-2010. I hope it helps.

·
9,195 Posts
So, parts are ordered. Should be here next week. One thing I was wondering is after the new camshaft is installed is there much of a break in period? I use this quad primarily to plow snow, and where we are there is ALOT of snow. Would that be hard on the camshaft?
Nah... use a good assembly lube or high moly grease on the bearing surfaces. Change the oil and run it as usual.
I'd probably recheck the valve clearance after about 100 hours or so.
Are you replacing rocker arms too? It is recommended to do them as a set but not absolutely necessary.
Did the cam lobes have any wear? I haven't seen one fail that way personally so not sure of WHY it failed.
You might want to check oil pressure and the oil pressure regulator dowel and spring (#13 &14) just to make sure its all clean and slick and that you're getting sufficient lubrication to the top end.
In extreme cold make sure to let the machine warm some before taking off too.
Keep us updated.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts