Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I need new front tires and rims on a 95 xplorer 4x4. Rear tires are still good. Should I replace all four or can I get away with only the fronts? I don't know if it will cause issues with the front wheel drive system. I know the new front will be larger than the rear. Will this cause problems with the front hubs?

·
Registered
75 Posts
I don't see any problem just changing the front.
Just make sure the true diameter of the rear and front match.
some manufacturer numbers are not exact.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
diameter check

I wrapped a string around my original front tires and they y are about two inches bigger than my original rear tires. As far as I know they are factory tires. However, my new front tires are about three and a half inches bigger than my rear tires. The original tires are all the same make and size. I would expect to see more wear on the front not the rear. I am confused and don't feel like breaking anything. Could this cause problems with tranny or worse?

·
Registered
75 Posts
I wrapped a string around my original front tires and they y are about two inches bigger than my original rear tires. As far as I know they are factory tires. However, my new front tires are about three and a half inches bigger than my rear tires. The original tires are all the same make and size. I would expect to see more wear on the front not the rear. I am confused and don't feel like breaking anything. Could this cause problems with tranny or worse?
3.5 inch circumference is about the difference between a 25 inch to a 26 inch tire.
what size does it say on the side of the tires.
The wrong size tires between the front and back can cause problems if you have the awd drive engaged on hard surfaces.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
tire #s are the same

All tires are 25s. (according to the numbers on the sidewalls) this is why I am questioning the variations. I don't plan on engaging 4wheel drive on any surface other than mud but I do have the demand drive system that automatically engages the hubs when needed. I assume it will b okay due to the difference in my original tires but I have made that mistake with a pickup truck (which I understand is a different situation) but I am trying to repair and not destroy things. Any thoughts? Run it and hope for the best or stick with old tires until I can afford rear tires to balance things out? What is the worst that could happen? Tranny issues, hubs?

·
Registered
75 Posts
All tires are 25s. (according to the numbers on the sidewalls) this is why I am questioning the variations. I don't plan on engaging 4wheel drive on any surface other than mud but I do have the demand drive system that automatically engages the hubs when needed. I assume it will b okay due to the difference in my original tires but I have made that mistake with a pickup truck (which I understand is a different situation) but I am trying to repair and not destroy things. Any thoughts? Run it and hope for the best or stick with old tires until I can afford rear tires to balance things out? What is the worst that could happen? Tranny issues, hubs?
Could try running lower pressure on the newer tire and higher psi on the back.
Like 7 psi in the back and 5 psi in the front.
I would avoid awd unless your on dirt or mud. Which is what I normally do anyways.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts