Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I misplaced/lost the spare key. Called the dealer to get a replacement. If you think they are proud of there motor oil try the price of a key.:eek They had the blank in stock and I had the original key. Most places charge about $2.50 to make a key. Price was $15.00.
Went to Ace Hardware; now they are not the cheapest on they goods but they do carry most anything you want. After some hunting, the clerk found a blank he thought would work. I got one, took it home and the key worked first and every time. New key cost me $3.28:angel

The key blank is marked X117 and YH48

·
Registered
102 Posts
Can am keys with the DESS are way out of control.I think @ $100 with programming
I was disgruntled the dealer didn't offer to reprogram the learner key for my skidoo or simply mention it when I bought it that I had to bring it in to mate the keys.

Not overly happy with how the key works either. Have to wiggle them.

Old sleds were to easy to steal, but the DESS is over the top BS.

I been thinking about another SXS or 4 ATV, if can am has DESS, probably right them off list. PIA in the winter with snow, mud would really be bad.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I originally thought I had 'lost' one key, only to 'lose' the second key over deer season, two years ago.

So I ordered a replacement ignition switch two months ago from Amazon for $9 shipped. Which came with two new keys.

And in the course of rebuilding my '04 330 Magnum over the last 3 weeks, I found both of my lost keys for the original ignition switch. And yes, it still works. If anyone wants this let me know and I will send it to you. Call it a freebie. I don't need two switches and 4 keys....hahaha

Just reach out and send me an email to burnsey166 @ gmail

·
Registered
7,398 Posts
I have a locksmith in a town about 20 miles from me - I take ignition switches to them and they make keys to fit the switch - if they are busy I just throw a 20 dollar bill at them and they mail the switch with two keys back to me - they make keys while-u-wait for $2 per key ($2.50 if the key is broken and you have both pieces) - I used to work at the ACE hardware here in my hometown - if I got the blanks, I can copy my own keys for free, otherwise, they sell me the blanks for $1 and I still make my own - works for me.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I went to the Polaris dealer and a blank was $10. They told me I would be better off to go to a hardware store on the other side of town. Instead I went to the hardware store close to the dealership. The guy at the key counter looked for a blank for about 5 seconds and said we don't have one. Now I know why the dealer told me to go across town.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The dealership I mentioned had the blank key, but I would still need to take it to a hardware store to get it cut. Another hardware store I stopped at said they would not charge to cut the key but if it did not work they would be unable to replace it. Thanks for the reminder, I have yet to get extra keys for my trailboss and sportsman.

·
Registered
7,398 Posts
The dealership store is very far from my location so, i will prefer to visit locksmith marietta store for key replacement of my vehicle.
I'm sure they will be able to help you - my little sister lives in Marietta and has used their services - my little sister is 62 years old :rolleyes: - she might be an old lady, but I'm baby brother to my 79 year old sister in Omaha :unsure: - anyway, I generally use a lock smith for replacement keys and I always get a spare or two. My nearest locksmith is 20 miles away and they can't always help me while I wait, so I just take the ignition switch to them, hand them a $20 bill and they mail it back to me. Full service lock shop :)

·
Registered
2019 Sportsman 850 SP Pursuit Camo
11 Posts
For my 2019, I couldn't find a local hardware store that had the blank. They had similar ones, and I was able to get a blank for my 2008 just fine, but I had to go to the dealer for the 2019. Cost me around $15 I want to say.

I didn't really NEED it, but I like to keep them in a few different places for easy access. I'm sure had I remembered to ask, I probably could've gotten one thrown in when I bought the ATV, but I completely forgot about it.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Last year before a trip to Brimstone I couldn't find my spare key and didn't want to go hundreds of miles away with only 1. I checked Lowes as they have made some odd keys for me in the past but they couldn't. Local locksmith wanted $30.00 and the dealership was $12.00. It sucks but overall $12.00 is some cheap insurance if you would happen to lose a key out and about.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I had some grief trying to get spare keys for my 2 2019 570's. The dealer ordered the blanks, but could not cut them. I went to a local locksmith, and they refused to cut them because they are steel and would harm their tools. I found a ace hardware that was able to cut them. They had some grief but was able to cut them for $5 each.

·
Registered
2019 Sportsman 850 SP Pursuit Camo
11 Posts
I actually had to check with a few dealers in my area. One of them actually told me I had to just buy a new switch with keys :eek:, said they didn’t sell just a blank.

I agree having the extras is cheap insurance. Although, I’m not sure itd be hard to bypass the key?‍♂

·
Registered
130 Posts
I lost my original key on the way to a trail ride. Forgot to take it out of the ignition and had a lanyard on it that wasn't wrapped around the handlebar....Fortunately I had the spare with me....

Went to the dealer to get another blank, as they didn't cut them, and they told me special order, 10-14 days out, $12.50 each!!! So I went to the local locksmith/key store that my shop did business with and $10 and three keys later I walked out of the store... No way in hell will I buy a key blank from a dealer...

·
Registered
373 Posts
Funny how in some places the dealers don't have them and locksmiths are dirt cheap, in other places locksmith is 3 times what a dealer charges...

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ace hardware did it for me $3.28 The clerk had a hard time finding the blank. The blank you want is marked X117 and YH48

1 - 20 of 21 Posts