Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,
So I'm in the middle of this primary drive clutch rebuild and it seems I'm at a hurdle. The Spider for the Primary Drive Clutch has three pin rollers with roller bushings. They are welded on to the spider by wear. I'm likely not getting them off.

They are all worn too. The picture shows the roller bushing nearly ground off. Clearly the balance was off causing uneven wear and tear on the spider.

I went to CheapCycleParts.com to determine if I could buy a new spider but it doesn't look like they sell that part separate.

Here are my choices,
1.) finish the job leaving the worn pin roller and roller bushing
2.) buy a whole new primary clutch (not what I really want to do)
3.) learn some new tip or trick for getting the old pin rollers out.

As always, any thoughts are welcome.
Ron

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
I wouldn't reuse that one. You can try finding a good used primary. E-bay, Craigslist, or maybe one of the guys on here can set you up with one.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Get a hold of EPI clutches and see if they can get you small parts. I definitely wouldn't leave it as it is, like you said bad balance.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds Reasonable to be Me

Clinebo,
Yeah, that's where I'm heading, just needed a second opinion. If anybody has a primary in better condition than mine, let me know. I may be in the market.
Thanks,
Ron

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Will do

Get a hold of EPI clutches and see if they can get you small parts. I definitely wouldn't leave it as it is, like you said bad balance.
Fishhooker, Thanks. I bought the refurb kit from them(EPI), that may be an option. I noticed when I took the primary apart the "X"'s where NOT inline with each other. I think the previous owner may have reassembled the clutch incorrectly causing the uneven wear on the spider.
Regards,
Ron

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
I bought a primary for my brothers ride from one of the guys on here. $50. It was in good shape and just needed a lil cleaning up.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you want to try for replacing the rollers try here. Number 13 I think*** not sure. I would try to change them first personally.

2004 Polaris A04CH50AA SPORTSMAN 500 (A04CH50AA/AC/AE/AG) Drive Clutch | Babbitts Polaris Parts House
Thanks Harleystyles, I don't know, but guessing that since the spider and helix are balanced at the plant, buying one without the other may not be an option. At both Babbitt and CheapCycle, neither give a part number for either part. Good reference though.

·
8,739 Posts
You might take it to a machine shop and see if they can press the pins out if the spider itself isn't worn too bad to reuse. It may be worth a try since you really have nothing to lose on it at this point.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I was able to get the pins out with a little liquid wrench and hammer encouragement. Replaced all the pins and bushing. Put it all back together and went for a short ride (two minutes max).

Right away I noticed the RPM's are a lot higher and the speed was a lot slower. My guess is that the belt is slipping.

Talked to a tech at EPI and he suggested there may be some "break-in" time. And to his point, the clutch assemble hardly moved up and down on the post. The button have no gap at all.

Does that sound correct?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Idle Speeds

You might take it to a machine shop and see if they can press the pins out if the spider itself isn't worn too bad to reuse. It may be worth a try since you really have nothing to lose on it at this point.
Polman 500,
Thanks for all the feedback. Was able to replace the pins and bushing, got the clutch reassembled and back on the 500. Now I have a new question, is there a break-in period. Reason I ask is that the 500 seems to rev higher RPM's now. Does this seem right?

Warm Idle (in neutral) 1250rpm
10mph about 3100rpm
20mph about 4100rpm
30mph about 5100rpm

Also, the clutch assemble was very tight to the spider and hard to move open or closed once I put the buttons on the spider. In addition to the refurb kit, I also replaced the spring.

·
Registered
806 Posts
It will take a little mileage for everything to break in/wear in a little. The button gap sounds tight.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts