Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I know you have probably seen this question 1000 times but I can't seem to find a thread that clearly answers it. I want to change out the stock wheels with aftermarket. I am ok with the current tire size, 25" but I don't know if the backset thing is an issue. Do all aftermarket have different backsets than stock? Any advise you might have to clear this would be appreciated.

·
Registered
369 Posts
All aftermarkets are typically a 4 back 3 out 7" rim. I know a lot of the specs say 5/2 but many times if you take an actually tape to them, they almost always come out to more of a 4/3. Your stock wheels are more like a 5/1 (6" rim) up front and something like a 6/2(8"rim) in the back.

Here is a pic of my X2 with with OEM rims and aftermarket tires.

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
cc,

nice wheel/tire combo. exact same i would have choose. those bighorns are some of the best all over dune, hardpack, mud, rock, anything tire out IMO. and to austin61, i agree with cc1999 if you go with a 4/3 offset you should be a-okay

·
Registered
369 Posts
Just keep in mind that you may not have any clearance issues, with aftermarket rims, but it will widen your machine, I stuck with the OEM rims on my X2 primarily to keep the width similar to stock, The 26" BHs are a wider then stock tire, so overall even with a OEM offset. The width of my X2 still gained about 2"s and I think that can bessen in those pics. Should you go to a 4/3 or what many call a 5/2 you will be about 4 inchs wider then stcok. You will also want to keep in mind that will put enough of your tires out past your fender that you maybe should plan on getting a little more dirty when out on the trail then a stock OEM offset.

You can see in this pic there is some mud on the front side of the back fender thats coming off the larger wider front tires even with the stock offset wheels, this will be worse with an aftermarket rim do to the wider offset.

Also keep in mind the method that you haul your atv, Polaris machines are typically some of the widest tracking ATVs on the market right from the factory with the factory rims and tires, this is also why they tend to be one the most stable atvs on the market but a wider offset rim will add even more stabilty to the machine, it may also create challenges hauling it to the trail.

That was another reason I stuck with the facory wheels on my X2. In this pic you can see that on my trailer width of the ATV can be an issue, this trailer can haul 4 atvs and is 100"s wide, the X2 like I have it setup in my pic is very close to 50"s wide, so any wider then that another ATV could not be placed beside it like it is in this pic. Also your typicall full size pickup is 50"s between the wheel wells.

I went after market with the Hipers on my 09 850 Xp and it can not be put on that trailer beside another full size ATV. The Hipers are the only true 5/2 I have come accross, and this machine with these wheels and tires is over 50" wide.

Because of the added width the Hipers give my 09 850, I am setting my 2010 850 up with these OEM rims with the same bighorn tires that are on all my other machines, but this should take care of the whole trailer hog issue my 09 has with the aftermarket wheels. One trailer hog in the stable is plenty. LOL

Just thought I better give some of the possible down sides to an aftermarket wheel as well.

·
Registered
765 Posts
will the wheel type, affect the steering kick back? right now i have power steering on mine. but i am thinking of getting an x2 and they have no power steerin. if you add wider wheels with a bigger offset, can that make the atv steer rougher or kick back more?.....too, how do you like your X2. i want to buy a 2 up machine. i love the power steering on my 550 and am afraid i will regret getting rid of it for an X2. would you buy a new X2 without power steering or one of the touring models to get power steering.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok first thank you for the advise!! I do have an issue with space in my pick up so I think I would want to keep as close to stock width as possible. So Is polaris the only one that makes a 5/1 front and 6/2 in back or are there other choices available that you know of? I have done some searching but not a lot yet and most are the wider ones you have mentioned. Also about tires I would like to use (read that use up) my stock tires is that possible or am I going to have to upgrade tires to get where I want to be?

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Bump on this thread.

I currently have ITP wheels on my XP with TerraCross R/T tires but feel the quad is too wide now. I would like to find a aftermarket wheel that does not make the quad as wide as the ITPs do. Other than the factory wheel is there any other options out there? Thanks.

·
Registered
369 Posts
No not really. There is an aftermarket wheel that is sold by polaris, that Polaris had them design it for the XP, it is close, but it too is a little wider then OEM wheel.

Every aftermarket wheel I have seen is gennerally always got a 2in-3in front spacing. Some of those say there spacing is 2" but measure more like 3in. The OEM font spacing is more in the 1in. range or less.

There are now 6 OEM wheels for the XPs.
There is the 2009 version with and without the LE black trim
There is the 2010 version with and without the LE black trim
There is a Camo steel wheel, and black steel wheel.

Personaly I went with the black steel wheels for my 2010 XP, they are lighter then the aluminums, they will likley never break, they may bend, but not break. They will allow me to keep my oem offset as well.

Here is a pic of the latest OEM rim to come out. Its really the same as the regular 2010 wheel, but with black accents.

All the OEM rims are availble through polaris parts. Not that they are cheap, but they are not typically insanely high. And you can keep the oem offset with them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts