Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We replaced the ignition kit on our 2003 polaris sportsman atv. It is better than it was only because it will start now. Followed enclosed instructions that came with the ignition kit. Machine will now start, idle and move, but when you give it gas it runs very unsteady and starts missing. New plugs have been installed, drained carborator. ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
P.s. I have read through these other posts but can't seem to find the answer. I was hoping to get it up and running today if possible. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
12 Posts
Any luck on your issue? Mine starts and idles fine but loses spark when the throttle is opened up causing it to backfire and die. I'm still running all stock components.

·
Registered
143 Posts
your symptoms sound like a carb issue to me, either stuck float(not enough fuel), or a clogged jet. I would pull the carb and clean it well, and check your float to make sure it is adjusted properly. There are plenty of rebuild kits available on ebay that are inexpensive and easy to do.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I put a spark checker inline and I can watch the light go out with throttle, and I've had the carb off several times and cleaned it and checked for boot leaks. Still leaning toward carb issue?

·
Registered
143 Posts
When you took the carb off, did you have to drain the bowl(was it full?). The only reason i suggested carb was that I had the same backfire problem with my 700, and the issue was the float adjustment, it was starved for fuel.

·
Registered
143 Posts
So I guess next i would check the coil, but I've not had to check one of those on my machine, so I wouldn't be a good source of info on that. There might be someone on the forum who is better versed in the electrical aspect of the ignition system, have you searched the forum for other posts with a similar problem?

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
the spark plug boots have resisters in them...and can go bad...did you have a faulty ignition before and had to get a new kit...if so may have damaged the resisters in the plug boots..its a shot in the dark ..I think they unscrew off the wire..if so unscrew and check the ohms to see if in spec...not sure off hand what the reading is suppose to be..manual out in garage...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts