Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 polaris sportsman.
Bendix blew up wrecking stator.(quad would not charge)
Replaced bendix and stator plug and play- pretty much.
Now the quad won't start with the electronic push button, starter, bendix, fly wheel, engine turns over with compression at exhaust but does not start.
Try using pull start and it fires right up,,,,
Where have I gone wrong? Anything I should be checking that would relate to my issue?

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
Try this. I read about this on this forum and it is true. I had one giving me the same problem. Unplug the speedometer and see if it will start. I am almmost willing to bet that it will start right up. If it starts you will need to buy another speedometer or do the speedometer 4x4 bypass mod so that you have 4x4. The speedometer has gotten moisture in it and rusted.
Let me know what happens.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I was just going to post to check the gap on the trigger....I read that post you linked to before...I try to read trouble posts so if any happen to me i have an idea where to begin..lol...I have a ton of them bookmarked..its like my online service manual...its funny..I looked in my OEM service manual and there is no mention of this in trouble shooting...some things in there are so brief

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, ill try the speedometer disconnect, as well as the trigger coil gap. Mines approximay 1/8". I talked to rm stator yesterday and they mentioned to check the gap. My problem was when I took the recoil back apart and inspected the mount for the trigger coil, it looks like there's not much movement to get it closer. (Due to switch and bracket mount right on machine) ill try a few things tonight and get back to the forum.
Thanks again, as I am a little frustrated :)

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
from what I read there is no true adjustment as in slots to adjust...some just loosened the trigger an moved it as clsoe as they could...some said the bent the mount a bit that was damaged when a rope broke....but 1/8th inch sounds good..but not really sure...some I read to just get a air gap as close as possible...but no mention what the gap was...lol...do like the old days when setting points..use a match book cover...just kidding...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I lossened the trigger switch and angled the brace clip.(tapped as close as j could, without touching)
What I did not realize was on the flywheel there's a magnet that sticks out 1/16, 1/8 so when I set the switch and put everything back together. Started right up... Great it works. Took recoil apart to inspect, and ya it was pushed to close. i can now see some of the internals of the switch, rubbed through.Looks like I'm gonna have to use the old trigger switch.. Recommended? Should I run both wires right to the cdi, and plug them into the cdi grommet?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I can literally see the coil inside of the trigger assembly. It takes at least 3-4 seconds before it starts, seems long doesn't it? Ide be in for epoxy but I wonder if its not just right. Still reading 90 ohms manual 97 ohms, old one 96 ohms.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Resistance readings are usually + or - 10% so your reading is in the ballpark , as for the starting , is the battery fully charged after all the cranking since you've been working on it ? If the battery is topped off maybe try the old trigger coil ?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah battery is charged 12.5v.
I'm tempted to cut the wires past the grommet and fish the old ones through with the trigger coil.
I've opened the old wiring harness and retrieved the 2 wires from tc to cdi.
Would you just cable tie them to he harness?
Also when I put the old wires through the grommet it might be tight with the cdi small connectors, you think I should try to drill the holes bigger then silicone later?

·
Registered
486 Posts
I was just looking at a service manual , it calls for a trigger coil gap of .016 - .040 , did you get it that close , you may still be too wide giving you the hard start ?

Yes , if you change the trigger coil you should be good tie-wrapping them to the harness ,and yes , it wouldn't hurt to drill the hole a little larger and silicone it .

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I must of been too close it cut probably 1/16 off of the trigger coil lol.
That's good to know of what kind of gap to expect. Ill try doing that tomorrow with the damaged one first- maybe ill just epoxy the damaged part closed if it starts alot better. What I've had to do is actually drill the screw holes bigger so I can slide the switch closer to the fly wheel. (Due to the switch, and clip having bolt holes)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Got the machine all back together and now starts. Thanks for all the help from this forum. Will be sure to pass the help on to others.
If there's anyone else having these issues your welcome to pm me as I've spent countless hours figuring out how these systems work.
:)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts