Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to replace a stock steel wheel on my 2012 550 xp.

Those wheels are a key part of the "anti-kickback" feature. That is a really important feature here in the rocky rocky mountains.

I have not found an aftermarket steel wheel that preserves the XP wheel specs. The Polaris steel wheels are $100 each and seem to not be very strong.

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
The STI HD2 wheel is the only non-OEM wheel that I have found for the XP with the 6+1 offset. The good news is they look much better than the OEM steel wheel, have a lifetime warranty on them and they are about $85 each. I can also attest to how strong and durable they are and how well they hold up to the abuse of the rocky mountains.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Very useful, bobx2 !

I looked at the STI website/tech info. It has a link to their spreadsheet on application data for all their wheels. There is only one wheel that has the X2 offset of 6+1 ! !
That is their model 14HD205.

Here is the LINK.

So. I would infer that most of the folks with aftermarket wheels probably do not have 6+1 offset. Right ?

If thats right, then they all get a wider track and loss or partial loss of the anti-kickback capability of the XP.

The anti-kickback "feature" has saved me more than one case of painful shoulder jolts. Maybe even a couple crashes. I would not give that up to get a fancy wheel.

Using wheels with the wrong offset would also change loading on the suspension, hubs, and bearings. I wonder what that does to warranty claims for broken suspension parts?

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I agree Bob. STI seem to have one of the only wheels that will preserve the design configuration of the XP and who-knows-what other Polaris machines. They do list it for the 550xp AND 850xp on their "applications" data sheet. But its well hidden.

STI has only ONE MODEL that is truly compatible with the polaris XP etc. That is the model 14HD205 with 6+1 Offset. It " appears " that all other OEM wheels will widen your track by two or more inches and essentially neuter the anti-kickback feature.

Sorry... I call that incompatible. Fits, but not compatible.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I decided to inquire of STI about all this. Below is the response they sent me (within a couple hours !).

Thanks for forwarding the link to the forum thread. As far as we know there in not another wheel company producing a 6+1 wheel for the Polaris XP or any other machines. Originally the idea of the 6+1 wheel was for the standard RZR 800 with the 50” footprint. In some areas, primarily Utah, there are restrictions limiting the width of the vehicles on the trails to a maximum of 50”. Our 6+1 wheels allowed the RZR 800 users the opportunity to use aftermarket wheels, keep their 50” footprint and be able to use these trail systems. We found that the 14x7 version of this 6+1 wheel (Part # 14HD205) also worked on the 550 XP and the 850 XP allowing it keep a very close to stock stance. All other aftermarket Polaris wheels typically have a 4+2 offset that will widen the machines a minimum of 1.5’ inches per side.

Also, the entire line of HD2 wheels has been discontinued including the 12x7 and 14x7 6+1 wheels mentioned above. Not because of poor sales, but rather to make room for the HD3 and HD4 wheels that have been released over the past year. Many retailers still have the original HD2 6+1 wheels available and they can still be purchased. We are working on the HD3 6+1 wheel now and plan to release it in approximately 60 days. We just test fitted this new HD3 wheel the other day and took a studio photo of the wheel. Attached is the photo of the HD3 6+1 wheel.

Hope this information helps. Please let me know if you have any questions or would like any additional information.

Thanks,

Jamie Chisholm
STI Tire & Wheel

·
Registered
193 Posts
Curt, can you tell me more about this anti kickback feature or a site I can read up on it?
Does my 09 550xp have it? I'm still on oem steelies but was thinking of changing as 1 is a bit bent.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Curt, can you tell me more about this anti kickback feature or a site I can read up on it?
Does my 09 550xp have it? I'm still on oem steelies but was thinking of changing as 1 is a bit bent.
Go to this LINK. THen click on "anti-kickback steering"

I dont know which models have it. Here is a product review from 2009 that mentions it. LINK Parargraph 5.

I have had quads with- and without it. The difference is dramatic here in the rocky mountains. IF you have ever hit an unseen rock or root with just one wheel and had the handlebars jerked out of your hands, or the shock transferred to your shoulder - you know what I mean.

The "system" depends on wheels that have a 6+1 offset. So if you go to something else, you loose the anti-kickback feature.

You also change the design steering geometry buy moving the wheels farther out from quad. When folks decide they are smarter than the engineers who designed the quad and screw around with fundamentals like steering geometry -- I get skeptical.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I ordered the HD2's yesterday in 6+1 from Rocky Mountain ATV...they were 78.99 each with free shipping. They may still have some in stock, worth checking out if that what you want.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
btw....
Its easy to see if you have anti-kickback.
Look closely at the wheels. If the flat part of the wheel is set way to the outside of the rim, then you got it.
Check this LINK

·
Registered
434 Posts
Holy freaking chit. I am just now finding out that there are no wheels available for these things. Not oem specs at least. I don't want to make mine any wider.

I think I know why nobody makes them the same offset as stock. Have you looked at your rim after riding? Mine is scratched and gouged to hell. With no inset there is no protection to the surface.

·
Registered
193 Posts
One of my fronts is dented really badly, yet for over a year my Zillas have held that bead at 7#. I wonder how those new shiny HD3's are going to hold up?

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Holy freaking chit. I am just now finding out that there are no wheels available for these things. Not oem specs at least. I don't want to make mine any wider.

I think I know why nobody makes them the same offset as stock. Have you looked at your rim after riding? Mine is scratched and gouged to hell. With no inset there is no protection to the surface.
Thats a good point.

But as a tradeoff - you get anti-kickback.

So whats important: Feature for aggressive riding? Or... Lookin good at the local starbucks ?

I always stick with steel wheels. We don't have starbucks where I ride.

I love anti-kickback.

PS: YOu can still buy HD2s with 6+1.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I checked RMATV and they only offer that wheel in 4+3. The damn quad would be as wide as it is long. If you want to feel something squirrely, allow your width to get close to length.

Curtwpk, where are you finding steel wheels? I can't even find a Polaris brand steel wheel that fits mine. I have the 850 Touring by the way.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I checked RMATV and they only offer that wheel in 4+3. The damn quad would be as wide as it is long. If you want to feel something squirrely, allow your width to get close to length.

Curtwpk, where are you finding steel wheels? I can't even find a Polaris brand steel wheel that fits mine. I have the 850 Touring by the way.
I have not tried to order, but they seem to be available from Polaris dealers like Babbits. Here is a LINK.

The part number for the 550XP wheel is 1520962-067. But I think that is the same for most XP models.

Let us know how you do.
-c

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
One of my fronts is dented really badly, yet for over a year my Zillas have held that bead at 7#. I wonder how those new shiny HD3's are going to hold up?
If they are as tough as the HD2's, then they will hold up nicely. Those wheels are tough as hell. If scratches and nicks are a concern, then off-roading is the wrong hobby for you. :lmao:

·
Registered
98 Posts

I ordered 6+1 HD2's in matte black on Tuesday from RM ATV and they were here yesterday.

STI HD2 Alloy Wheel | ATV | Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

If you want a stock replacement, check partshark.com. They generally have good prices on OEM parts.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
YOu must be certain that the model number for STI is model 14HD205

When I called RMTATV customer service last week, she confirmed that their HD2 matches the STI model number. LINK

------------------UPDATE----------------------------
I checked today. It looks like they no longer have the 6+1 wheel. Only the 4+3. Different model number.
Too bad.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts

The touring models never had the option. The base 850 with eps did. Search that way, see if you can find it that way.

·
Registered
98 Posts
YOu must be certain that the model number for STI is model 14HD205

When I called RMTATV customer service last week, she confirmed that their HD2 matches the STI model number. LINK

------------------UPDATE----------------------------
I checked today. It looks like they no longer have the 6+1 wheel. Only the 4+3. Different model number.
Too bad.
From what I understand they are listed under the SxS's and not as an option for the ATV in the 6+1 offset. Yesterday it showed 5+ sets available. Its kind of ashame the discontinuing the HD2 as I personally think it's a better looking wheel and less busy looking than the HD3. Anyway, Got the tires mounted today but RM ATV sold me the wrong lug nuts. New ones will be here Tuesday.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts