Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some instructions on how to remove the flywheel and stator on a 2007 Sportsman 500 EFI. I am concerned about the level of skill required to do this. Are there any gotcha's in pulling that cover off? What tool is required to remove the flywheel? It would be great if someone would provide some detail instructions and pictures.

Any comments or suggestions would be welcomed.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Only thing special you need to do it without possibly damaging the flywheel is the correct type of puller. Otherwise just basic hand tools. Get a service manual off you are uncomfortable doing it and it will show you exactly what you're in for.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Only thing special you need to do it without possibly damaging the flywheel is the correct type of puller. Otherwise just basic hand tools. Get a service manual off you are uncomfortable doing it and it will show you exactly what you're in for.
Ok.. I looked in my service manual, and the Polaris flywheel puller part # is 2871043 and it cost around $100. Wow...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Go to Advance Auto if you have them in your area and see if you can "rent" one of theirs. They have tools for rent, you pay a deposit and get it back in full if returned without damage. I actually have purchased several tools through them that I have found to be of better quality then what they sell on the shelf. By purchasing I mean, never returning; the deposit is equal to the full price of the tool, so you don't have to feel like you are stealing it. Also, every tool I bought was brand new!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Go to Advance Auto if you have them in your area and see if you can "rent" one of theirs. They have tools for rent, you pay a deposit and get it back in full if returned without damage. I actually have purchased several tools through them that I have found to be of better quality then what they sell on the shelf. By purchasing I mean, never returning; the deposit is equal to the full price of the tool, so you don't have to feel like you are stealing it. Also, every tool I bought was brand new!
I read one thread and it said to use an automotive steering wheel puller.. Just want to make sure I rent the right now, so what tool should I ask for?

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Steering wheel puller might work. Sometimes the flywheel is on to tight for them though. But worth a shot. Oreilly dies the same thing with tools like that. I use one made by SLP that is a 3/4" thick solid plate of steel with a fine thread 5/8 bolt in the center.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Steering wheel puller might work. Sometimes the flywheel is on to tight for them though. But worth a shot. Oreilly dies the same thing with tools like that. I use one made by SLP that is a 3/4" thick solid plate of steel with a fine thread 5/8 bolt in the center.
Do you have a part number or link to the SLP tool?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How did it go? I just got done doing mine.
It went well. I found a hairline crack in the flywheel and only replaced the flywheel. Did not have to replace the stator. I rented a 3 hole steering puller from Advance Auto and it did the job. With the right tools, it makes the job easy.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thank you for that info. Currently looking into AutoZone tool rental wheel puller to remove the flywheel. Any idea what size the nut is on the flywheel shaft?

·
Registered
9,534 Posts
Not sure about that, it's 14 or 16 mm with about a 24 mm hex - I know you can find an inch dimension socket that will work on it - 19 mm is slightly loose on 3/4" and I have painted mm on a lot of my inch sockets - 15/16 = 24 mm & 1 1/16 = 28 mm

Verified - it's 16 mm x 1.5 TPMM

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thank you for the additional info. What do you recommend using an impact wrench or just use a long breaker bar to remove the flywheel. I have found my issue... it is a broken ear on the stator trigger coil . however I cannot get a good bite on the lower philips mounting screw, because flywheel is in the way. I see no other way to get that screw out without pulling the flywheel. Thanks, Ken

·
Registered
35 Posts
The nut holding the flywheel for an 05 Sportsman 500 HO required a 22 mm socket. Able to keep the flywheel from turning by placing two bolts in the threaded holes on the face of the flywheel, then resting them against a wood block placed on the footwell mounting supports from frame. Able to get nut off with a half inch socket wrench. Used a tool rental harmonic balancer puller kit #27019 from AutoZone to pull the flywheel using a long half inch socket wrench. Hope this will be helpful to someone else.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts