Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone replaced or even just taken off their handgrips?

I have an '09 XP and I was installing the heating pads under the grips this weekend and I just could not get the grips off. I ended up having to cut them down the middle. I'm stopping by the dealer this afternoon to order some more but does anyone have an easy way to get them on and off?

If not I'm just going to have the dealer put them on for me because I spent too much $$$ on those heating pads to mess them up by trying to replace those &$#* grips!

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
when i worked at a polaris dealer i did probably 30-40 heated grips on brand new sportsman every winter. i always used compressed air. i have a trigger like air nozzle with a small diameter metal tube, which i then flattened a little more. take a flathead screwdriver, and bend the edge of the grip back shove the flattened air nozzle under grip, and squeeze the trigger, the grip inflates with air just enough slid it off pretty easily. you basically do the exact same thing to get it on. get it started, inflate with air, and shove it back on. its hard and frustrating at first but with compressed air and the right air nozzle its really really easy to do

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Ive done the same thing as blueline one thing he forgot to mention is you need some one to hold there hand on the other end of the handle bar or you can, easier with help, other wise the air just goes out the other end.
:susel:

·
Registered
18 Posts
yes that what we do at are dealership... as well if you spray brake clean in them before slipping the on they slide on nice.... but you have to be quick....

·
Registered
38 Posts
ok folks! those of you that use compressed air are asking for a life threatening injury, if you slip and puncture your skin with compressed air, you may get lucky and only lose your hand/arm and at worst, cause an air embolism that travels to your heart and you die.
very simply do this to install new hand grips, clean off the old grip glue, add new grip glue and slide on the new hand grips, that's all there is to it!
getting the old grips off is also simple, carefully cut down the center of the grip, and peel it off.
hth
Rick, Ore

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
^^^ once you get the air nozzle tip underneath the grip, it seems pretty safe. there is always that chance, but i have done probably over 100 sets of grips,never with even a close call, and when somebody wants heated grips installed on their brand new ATV, my boss isnt very happy if we are cutting off brand new grips. and if you get the hang of it, you can even do it with the rubber cone that comes on the tip of the air nozzle to make it even safer.

of course you can break you neck riding ATVs pretty easily too

·
Registered
38 Posts
well we certainly wouldn't want to make the boss unhappy now would we? and when you do have an accident using compressed air and OSHA investigates it, you can bet your bottom dollar the "boss" will throw you under the bus for not following OSHA regulations involving the safe use of compressed air.
and it doesn't matter if you've done it a thousand times, it only takes one time.
if the customer wants heated grips, perhaps offer him a better type of grip to go with the heater? maybe even give him a discount as an enticement.
best of luck and stay safe
Rick, Ore

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
bearcat lighten up the chances of getting a air empolisiam from puncturing your skin , are about the same as you slitting your wrist and bleeding to death when your cutting that grip off.

·
Registered
18 Posts
This is retarded. I've used this method count less time never had any problems, in fact I think it safer using the compressed air.... Ya know your hand could slip while your cutting it with a knife... hit a main artery in your wrist ... there you dead too...

·
Registered
38 Posts
WOW! what a bee's nest I have kicked! lol!, please feel free to use any type of procedure to do anything you need to accomplish! I was not dictating to anyone how to do anything!
for the sake of argument, let's say I do slip and cut my wrist with the trusty razor knife, even if I happen to hit an artery, I will have time to either call 911, or drive myself, or a friend drive me to the ER.
A Doctor will fix me up with no lasting effects, now you are in your shop/garage changing out the hand grips and hit yourself with a blast of compressed air that breaks the skin and enters your body? well I'm not going to explain it to you, just look it up on the 'net, check out the descriptions and maybe look at the pictures.
no hard feelings to anyone here
Rick, Ore :arco:

·
Registered
50 Posts
I to am guilty of using compressed air to clean myself and my clothing. I just spent an hour on google trying to find a reported, credible instance of anyone being able to put an air bubble into their blood stream threw unbroken skin and came up with nothing. I read a thread on mythbusters involving the same question, they came up with nothing. One hazard I found that I was unaware of was the possibility of driving small or microscopic particles into your skin. This will cause skin irritation and possible infection. I still would like to know the truth, as I am not convinced either way, I am leaning toward busted. Now if you are stupid enough to use an air pistol with an orifice sharp enough to puncture skin you will get what's coming to you!

Regards James

·
Registered
38 Posts
http://www.scif.com/safety/safetymeeting/Article.asp?ArticleID=25
http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1241999-overview
http://www.nature.com/eye/journal/v17/n5/full/6700420a.html
http://www.labsafety.com/refinfo/ezfacts/ezf187.htm
http://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/safety_haz/compressed_air.html

this is on the 1st page of the "compressed air injuries" search i ran on Google.
offhand I'd say this is not a myth, but you go ahead and tell yourself that.
If it was not an issue, it would not be in the OSHA regulations.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Not if you cut your femoral artery at a angle you will lose concinous in 30 seconds and you will bleed out in less than 4 minutes. I read it on the net so just read for yourself . :spankme:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Post #13 lists 5 links the only one that lists any evidence to support injection of AIR into into a human hand is http://www.medscape.com/medline/abstract/3794493. It lists 2 injuries to hands involving compressed air @70-220psi, also it noted that the hands had lesions and the injuries were benign. So it is not myth but also may not be lethal. It should be noted that compressed air is not a toy as the victims in the other links can attest. One worker blew out his own eye with a faultily air pistol and 75 psi of air. I personally respect the power or compressed air, what I do not agree with is being told that a lethal air bubble can be injected into UNBROKEN skin @ or below 30psi.Thank you to Bearcat329 for the links(its interesting how much more a google search will turn up with just a slightly different phrase). So when I install my next set of handle bar grips I will use the proper ppe(personal protective equipment) and finish the job with my body intact.
Best Regards To All
James

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
bearcat i dont really know why you care if i used compressed air or not. with the air nozzle underneath the grip before i squeeze the trigger, the chance of it slipping, and pierceing my skin is so small its crazy. really im much more worried about killing myself ridding atv the changing grips. and about the OSHA shit, i did way more dangerous tasks, went with the job. like having two crated brand new atv's (about 1 ton) on a forklift 25 feet over my head on uneven gravel. crawling under 1000lb ranger when it could slip off the jackstands.

i have and will continue to use compressed air to get the grips off....i will take my chances with compressed air over a razor blade. who knows what kind of germs or possible diseases that are on the hand grip, that the razor blade picks up, which then enters you blood stream after you cut yourself. thats about the same far fetched possiblity as your compressed air idea IMO

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Woah fellas!!!

DAMN! I'm sorry I ever asked the question! hahahaha If I knew I was going to be getting this type of response I would have just asked my dealer from the get go and save the "bloodshed"!

I can understand where you're coming from Bearcat but compressed air is really not as dangerous as you're making it out to be. And none of us can trust the internet. Everyone is right when doing a google search because there are always stories to support both sides. You're right in saying you probably shouldn't clean yourself off with air and I'm also guilty of that as well but it's no more dangerous than a razor blade.

But thanks again for all the responses. I'll be putting my handgrips back on this weekend since they just came in yesterday

·
Registered
421 Posts
I can understand where you're coming from Bearcat but compressed air is really not as dangerous as you're making it out to be. And none of us can trust the internet. Everyone is right when doing a google search because there are always stories to support both sides.
i have to agree with this.

but if your so worried about compressed air. i think your worried about the wrong thing. as you could die from repairing your atv as well. ill bet more people die on atvs acting dumb, not paying attention, not knowing how to use one, or useing common sense. than dieing because they wanted to take there grips off with a air compressure... warning someone about taking there grips off with compressed air. is like warning someone they could die in a car, or die in your sleep. either way deal with it.. its life.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have a "newbie" question, unrelated to compressed air, I have always rode ATV's in the South so never had to worry about hands being cold...I assume you are all wearing gloves with the heated grips and it still warms your hands even through the gloves? Are you using hand covers or just the heated grips? Being in Colorado now...it sounds like a wise investment.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts