Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past 4 hours we have been taking every part of this ATV apart, trying to gain complete access to the starter to remove the final bolts. We have finally given up and almost resorted to sledge hammer actions. Can someone please help us out with getting this starter off.

We have taken the bottom plate off as well as the front clutch cover. Tried to remove the clutch to take the back clutch cover off but can not figure out how to remove it.

Please help
Thank you

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
This sounds like FUN! Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
527 Posts
You will need a clutch puller to remove the primary clutch. We do have these pullers in stock for 35.00 and they are made in the USA not some cheap China junk. Good Luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Here's what I did........
(disclaimer: this is Not the "correct" way- don't try it! )
I could not get the primary drive off to remove the plastic housing to reach one of the two end bolts on my 99' Xplorer 300 4x4. Ended up drilling a hole through the plastic drive housing just large enough to pass a socket through. When The new starter was in I opted to install it with that bolt missing (figured 3 bolts would hold it). I then put a peice of gorilla tape on the back of the plastic drive housing- facing the inside & used silicone/RTV gasket sealant to form a plug/seal. Once dry I added another piece of gorilla tape to the inside of the plastic housing. (Mmmm... Gorilla tape/RTV Sandwich)
I now can start & can access the starter if another starter goes..........
Good Luck !

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have had this problem to .I took a long bolt and welded a cut off wrench to it and bent it a little it is a pain in the a** to do but it will work

1 - 6 of 6 Posts