Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at buying a 2000 Sportsman 500 that only has 2,100 miles on it but has original tires that are worn a little but not bad.

Any worries about the age of the tires? Should I be thinking of immediately buying new?

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
As long as you still got lug left they will be fine. Age doesn't really matter as long as there is no cracking in the sidewall and if they hold air your good to go. You may want to consider upgrading anyways because the stock tires SUCK for traction, however this is not necessary. My brother in law just replaced the front tires on a 1986 Yamaha that I sold him. They were BALD and but still held air. Wouldn't recommend letting them get that worn though.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As long as you still got lug left they will be fine. Age doesn't really matter as long as there is no cracking in the sidewall and if they hold air your good to go. You may want to consider upgrading anyways because the stock tires SUCK for traction, however this is not necessary. My brother in law just replaced the front tires on a 1986 Yamaha that I sold him. They were BALD and but still held air. Wouldn't recommend letting them get that worn though.
Appreciate the advice. If they accept my offer then I probably will buy some newer ones for traction as you said.

The tires on my Farmall 806 are cracked all over but the tubes work just fine with them that way in the fields but I certainly wouldn't take it out on a trail like that.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts