Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Crew

My question is, I have a 2001 Sportsman with a bent water pump shaft which will cost >$1,000 to fix by the dealer.

I am tossing up with the idea of installing a electric water pump, has anyone done this to a sportsman before?

Many thanks

Prilli

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
575 Posts
Nothing I've heard of on an atv. Electric water pumps on drag racing engines is not uncommon, they usually don't have high duty cycles though

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Folks tried this on the Mid 90's GM LT1 engines with varying degrees of failure. Works OK for dragstrip but not very streetable. Thermal duty cycles become very important. The electric motor will need to shed the heat it generates along with the environmental heat from the coolant and engine.
This is why electric will never be as reliable as gear or belt drive.

BTW how the heck did you bend the water pump shaft??
Ingesting pieces of stuff from somewhere else in the cooling system? or did the water pump impeller break up?
You may want them to find that out before you replace the pump.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
they say the shaft is easy to bend if you try to remove the seals the wrong way....so maybe that was the reason....or the impellar blew up..but never heard of that happen yet but always a first....but sucks you have to split the case to replace it...I wonder if a electric fuel pump would work...

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
they say the shaft is easy to bend if you try to remove the seals the wrong way....so maybe that was the reason....
That's what the service manual says... did you replace the water pump seals? or did they?

I wonder if a electric fuel pump would work...
Nowhere near enough volume.

I'd just bite the bullet and replace the shaft or replace the whole motor with a good used unit...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
The water pump seals where removed the wrong way which bent the shaft. The mechanical seal is now not sealing properly and water is coming out the weep hole.

if they are designed to handle the heat off drag cars, they should be able to handle the heat off a quad bike. You can buy pumps that are adjustable

But in theory could this work? Or will the continuous pressure damage the engine/radiator?

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
The water pump seals where removed the wrong way which bent the shaft. The mechanical seal is now not sealing properly and water is coming out the weep hole.

if they are designed to handle the heat off drag cars, they should be able to handle the heat off a quad bike. You can buy pumps that are adjustable

But in theory could this work? Or will the continuous pressure damage the engine/radiator?
Drag cars only produce a lot of heat for generally only seconds, but a quad is producing heat for hours and the electric pump will never be able to keep up with that kind of heat. Adjustable or not, the electric pumps aren't designed to work on something like an atv, and even at their highest setting would not handle the heat produced by an atv. In theory if you could supply the volume of water needed by the quad, it might work, but to have a pump do that, I imagine it would be way too large for an atv, and also would draw way too many amps, for the electrical system of an atv to keep up with. Let us know how it works out if you try it

·
Registered
806 Posts
Fix it the right way. You'll end up doing the job 2 or 3 times if you try to rig up some electric water pump. And in the end it will cost you more in the long run. I'm sure there is an independent shop that would do the job for less $ than the dealer and possibly do a better job to boot.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts