Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a used cylinder and piston from an 87 trailboss (but I dont have it in my hands yet). cylinder wall looks great smooth with a mirror like shine. wondering if i should consider putting new rings in before putting it all together. if so...should i try to put a cross hatch on the wall.... ball hone or 4" three stone ? andbody got a good method they would be willing to describe for getting the cross hatch?

·
12,816 Posts
If you don't have it in your hand how could you possibly know it is smooth with a mirror finish? You can't possibly determine that till you get it and wash it down with solvent and inspect it under bright light. Even then, you need to mic it to tell if it's worn.
At a very minimum you'd need to hone it and use new rings but you can't know what size rings till you measure it.

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
If you don't know how to measure it for wear, take it to a machine shop, they will measure it and tell you if it needs bored,

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, I have seen it them close up (piston and jug) but didn't have the tools to measure it at the time. I was told (and trust) the top end came off a good running machine. I will check the bore when it gets here but was assuming that the ring gap would probably be pushing max. I was just curious...since I haven't put it together yet ...and it is from an 87, that it might be worth dropping an extra $20 set of rings in to freshen it up a little before I put it together for good.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts