Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some help with my 07 Sportsman 500 HO deluxe.

It was sluggish around 35 and topping out around 40.
I finally got around to looking at it and pulled some codes.

Started off with 22 and 55. I started looking around at wires and found a few bare on the connector to the IAC. I fixed those and ran diagnostics once before plugging the connector back in. Now I get a 45 code as well.

did the same with the MAP sensor, and now I have a 47 code.

I went through the entire harness and verified every connection is good. disconnected/reconnected the computer, cleaned terminals, etc.

Here's the problem - I think the wiring is fixed but I can't get the codes to reset. I've had the battery off many times for the 30 seconds as stated in the manual as well as for hours and even overnight. Can't seem to get it to clear out the codes. Anyone know any other tricks to reset?

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Try unhooking the negative battery cable for 20 seconds. If that doesn't work you could also try taking both battery cables off the battery & touching the ends together. (just the cables no battery) It should erase the memory by draining the reserve voltage in the module. Found the info from an older post. Hope this helps

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
found a little time to dig a little more.
disconnecting the battery does not reset blink codes no matter how long I wait, or if I short out positive to negative once disconnected. I've had the battery off and hit every switch to also help drain of any residual power. No luck, codes are still there.

I did the fan test per the manual today and it failed. disconnecting the sensor is supposed to turn on the fan, but it didn't. I took a voltage reading at the fan and got 5.4V, regardless of whether the sensor was connected or not. Clearly I have a short somewhere I haven't found yet.

My question is this - is it possible the computer is not clearing codes because there is still a short somewhere? I'm wondering if clearing the codes takes draining off and also turning on clean to actually reset?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Getting nowhere!!!!

continued troubleshooting today.

The fan wasn't working, so I traced that out. the PDM is sending 5.4 volts to the fan no matter what. I disconnected the temperature sensor to force the fan on, still only getting 5.4 volts. The input of the PDM from the ECM is constant 12V which doesn't make sense - shouldn't that change if the ECM has the fan turned on or off? The fan motor is shorted out with .2 ohms between the leads. I connected a 12V battery to it and nothing.

Still can't get the flash codes to reset no matter what I do.
Every time I pull a sensor, it adds a code.

strangely, given all of the above the machine starts and runs. I would think with all these codes it wouldn't want to do anything.

Do I have a bad ECM? PDM?

I just read there was a problem where other guys had the PDM fry and it would make the fan run constantly... wondering if that's what happened to me.

ECM is 4011817 Rev 01, VP6PAU-12A650-AD, PEC-100. is there a list somewhere of bad ECMs??

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
changed the fan and that problem is solved.

Still can't reset codes. Called the dealer and they told me the DW is the only way to reset.
Has anyone made an adapter to use an OBD2 tool or custom software so I can reset on my own? I hate being dependent on the dealer!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts