Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

How can i reset / re-align the cam gear to the cam shaft on hot cams?
I suppose it should be possible, as the hot cams for polaris is delivered without the gear pressed on because of the decomp ring.

Bought an Polaris Predator recently. Starts and runs great, but has a ticking noise in the top end.
Removed the top cover, and find hot cams fitted by an owner down the line. Previous owner had no engine knowledge.
Timing chain was all slacky. Manual chain tensioner was already installed, but probably never re-tightened.
The timing marks was also way off, but the lobes are in the correct posision as far as i can tell.

Letting it sit now until i have refitted the cam gears and spot welded it. Just has to make sure i can reposition the gear before removing them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
See picture of how the gears and marks are when crank is at TDC. According to the keyholds in the camshaft its seems to be in the right position. Same with the cam lobes, and the fact that it starts and runs fine.

Wonder if the previous owner installed the gears wrong. If so, how could they gotten the timing right?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got a hold of previous owner. Cam gears had spun after engine failure.
Was set back together and timed based on the lobe position and valve clearance on TDC.

Since the engine is running pretty good as it is now i will make some new marks, then remove cams to weld the gears and then adjust valve clearance. (0.50mm on the exhaust side now).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts