Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok folks I had another thread on here . But I've decided to go a different direction I'm going to rebuild my 97 sportsman 500 .

The motor is not locked up , but it's going to need a minimum of a piston kit and top end rebuilt . Now here's my thing . I've rebuilt it once I'm going to have to make the bore out to 1.00 over bored making it a 504cc motor no big deal . I already have a good 500 h.o cam , I have a new timing chain and top gear . I'll also go ahead and replace the bottom .

I'd like to know anyone's help . It had some issues with the build before . I had it timed correct had all the same thing done before . I took it out for a ride and it was fine till I headed home then it started bogging acting like it was a worn cam exhaust lobe not the issue I had several mechanics look at it and help they all found nothing wrong with fuel delivery . It got spark everything looked good all cdi,stator , regulator rectifier , and rev limiter was checked . I have heard my culprit could have been my ( etc ) electronic throttle control so I have taken it off since I tore the bike down .. Do I have to have it ? Can someone give me a hint ?

I have a list of what I need for the build.

Wiseco 1.00 over sized piston kit
Bottom end timing key
New valves and seals in the head .

Anything else y'all can think off ..

I already have a new good cam , timing chain, new timing upper gear .

All HELP is appreciated and thank you in advance !

Tx cornbread

Dodge the father Ram the daughter

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
I don't but know who can

Got to ATVConnection and look for "OPT" (old Polaris tech). Call him out in your title (e.g. help OPT!), he'll straighten us all out. He will guide you to the service manual but also give you all the tips/tricks he knows. Luck! :banana:

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
That's odd....You're sure that the decompressioner spring didn't break or a faulty rocker arm.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah everything was moving good , I'm curious to know if someone makes a diffrent thumb throttle cause I don't wanna go back with the ol bulky one that has the 4x4 and etched on and in it seeing how the 4x4 is now on a toggle switch , and I don't think I really need the damn etc but no one know for sure if I leave it unhooked if it will hurt anything . I personally don't think it will die to basically it has the same concept as a toggle switch .

Dodge the father Ram the daughter

1 - 5 of 5 Posts