Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Isn't High Lifter a respected brand? I called today asking about some wheels they have on their website. High Lifter brand even. Here is a link to the wheel.
HLP XL2 Wheel

Now some back story. A couple days ago I saw a youtube clip from ATVTV.com where the host mentioned the wheels on his Polaris 850XP were High Lifter and they were one inch wider per side. OK, so I get all excited and went to the HL website. Found the above wheel with matching 4/156 lugs spacing. This is a newer version that has a faux beadlock. No info on the site about this wheels offset so I called to find out.

I will refrain from mentioning the sales/tech guys name. I told him I was looking at the HLP XL2 wheel that is 14x7 with a lug pattern of 4/156. I told him it was for my 2013 Polaris 850 Touring. I asked him what the wheel offset was. He replies "It's 4/156". No I said, I know that, I need the offset. He replies "just a second... I think its like 4+3 or 5+3". Can you find out for sure I asked. "What are you wanting he asked"? I told him I heard they have one in 6+1. He replies "Oh...nobody makes a wheel like that"

Right on their damn website they sell the STI Wheel with a 6+1 offset.

Again, I ask if he can verify the HLP XL2 wheel for me. He replies "umm... it doesn't look like we have any of those". You have no way to look it up I ask. "I think we used to sell that in 6+1 but not anymore" he replies.

Click... I hang up in complete disappointment. :banghead:

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Why would you call back? I would be done with that place. God forbid you actually got something from them and had an issue and needed help.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Easystreet's gripe is legitimate...He shouldn't have to just order by SKU number...If there is a question the person on the other end of the phone should be able to help, if that person doesn't know a ton about wheels, well that is ok too. he should have said man, I don't know a ton about wheels, but if you can hang on a second I will transfer you to someone who does.

Bam, problem solved, customer happy, money changes hands. Customer relationship started.

Instead, it sounds like an idiot caused HL to lose a customer, because he was to ignorant to just say, hold please and I will get you in touch with the right person.

It kills me how these days we are beginning to just accept crappy customer service as part of doing business!

Sorry for the trouble you had easystreet.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought it was a simple question. :suspect:

:motz: I really like the looks of that wheel. I'll never know...

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Easystreet's gripe is legitimate...He shouldn't have to just order by SKU number...If there is a question the person on the other end of the phone should be able to help, if that person doesn't know a ton about wheels, well that is ok too. he should have said man, I don't know a ton about wheels, but if you can hang on a second I will transfer you to someone who does.

Bam, problem solved, customer happy, money changes hands. Customer relationship started.

Instead, it sounds like an idiot caused HL to lose a customer, because he was to ignorant to just say, hold please and I will get you in touch with the right person.

It kills me how these days we are beginning to just accept crappy customer service as part of doing business!

Sorry for the trouble you had easystreet.
Well said! And yes you are correct, if he had said "hold on I don't know much about this and want to find you someone who does" I would have been very understanding to that response.

·
Registered
460 Posts
It was pretty simple. It is ok if the person that answers the phone doesn't IMO...What is not ok is to give bad information. It is also not smart, because the person on the other end of the line, the customer, might know more than you. Which makes you, HL, look like an idiot and/or a liar

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
I would call back and ask for a supervisor. It's one thing to be disappointed with poor customer service. it's another thing to let them get away with it.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Thats messed up. Customer service is the number 1 thing for me. If you got the product a little cheaper but have horrible service ill take my business else where

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alright, I found the youtube clip I was watching. He does state the wheels are one inch wider per side than stock. In looking at the video and all the angles they do of the quad, I can't decide if those would in fact only be one inch wider than stock. What do you think?

·
Premium Member
3,843 Posts
Looking at those pictures I will state that that wheel is a 4-+3 offset. You can tell by the amount of tire that sticks out past the fender like the STI C7's I had on mine. That is why I installed our fender flares to keep the mud off. I never trust what manufactures state and measure myself. Now regarding the Terra Cross tires - well that is a whole new thread if someone asks the question.

Thor

·
Super Moderator
7,092 Posts
If they have an offset 1" wider than stock, they are a 5+2 offset. However, I wouldn't take to heart anything that comes out of that clowns mouth. Like Thor said, that looks more like a 4+3, but it's kind of hard to be sure. If they are a 5+2, your quad will be 52" wide with that setup.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I thought that the STI 6+1 wheels were already one inch wider per side than stock? Now I'm confused. WTH neighbor

·
Super Moderator
7,092 Posts
The OEM front wheels are 6" wide, and not a true 5+1 offset. The 6+1 is a 7" wide wheel, so that is where the confusion comes in. The wheel is 1" wider than OEM. Clear as mud??? With my HD2 wheels with a 6+1 offset, I sit at 50" wide. Maybe someone else can chime in and explain it better. That's about the best I can do. :veryhappy:

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just need to meet 50" regulation. Bob have you ran it through the regulation posts down at Rampart? My concern is that aftermarket tires are also wider than stock, further widening the thing.
And here is an even more dire question. If I run 7" wheels front and rear such as the STI 6+1, then put a 9" wide front tire and an 11" wide rear tire on the same width rim do I end up with different height tires? This would jack up the 4x4.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
I would call back and ask for a supervisor. It's one thing to be disappointed with poor customer service. it's another thing to let them get away with it.
This is the proper response. If you ever want customer service to improve after a bad confrontation, get a supervisor to get it fixed. Hanging up just passes the problem on to the next guy, and you leave with a bad taste in your mouth. What a company DOESNT know, will never get fixed

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
This is the proper response. If you ever want customer service to improve after a bad confrontation, get a supervisor to get it fixed. Hanging up just passes the problem on to the next guy, and you leave with a bad taste in your mouth. What a company DOESNT know, will never get fixed
Well said, sometimes just the words "can I speak to your supervisor" can magically increase the helpfulness of the person your currently dealing with

·
Premium Member
3,843 Posts
If I run 7" wheels front and rear such as the STI 6+1, then put a 9" wide front tire and an 11" wide rear tire on the same width rim do I end up with different height tires? This would jack up the 4x4.
Nothing noticeable. All my units have 7 inch wide rims. Also remember the stiffer the shock setting the closer the tires will be to each other. Here is a picture of my 2012 850 with 4+3 offset HD3 wheels and HD springs at the mid setting. I am at 50/51 wide depending on weight of extras. If you are running the 6+1 offset with stock springs you will be fine.

Any questions feel free to call my shop and ask for me. We test and use the products we sell so we have the knowledge to answer questions about them.

Thor

·
Registered
43 Posts
X2
being a manager i would want to know if my guys werent doing there jobs right !!

·
Super Moderator
7,092 Posts
I just need to meet 50" regulation. Bob have you ran it through the regulation posts down at Rampart? My concern is that aftermarket tires are also wider than stock, further widening the thing.
And here is an even more dire question. If I run 7" wheels front and rear such as the STI 6+1, then put a 9" wide front tire and an 11" wide rear tire on the same width rim do I end up with different height tires? This would jack up the 4x4.
That is the exact setup that I'm running and there is no issue with it. You will fit between the posts at Rampart. It is a tight fit, but it will fit without having to adjust your suspension up tight, and you are legal. No way a 5+2 or a 4+3 would fit or be legal in there. Thor, I'm going to have to call you out on saying you are only 50"-51" wide with the 4+3 wheels. Even with the undersized Black Diamond tires, there's just no way.

You can gain a little by stiffening up your suspension, but not really that much. You can kind of see that in this picture. Full droop -vs- full compression. A little gain, but not a lot, and that is at the limits each way. You would never see that much difference with it sitting on flat ground.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts