Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Same issue as other posts, 4wd not working in reverse. Changed diff oil, was dark , replaced with Amsoil diff oil. No change, all works as it did, indication " slow" four wheel symbol appears when over ride button is engaged. AWD works in high/low forward all tire spin.
Traced the wires from differential to the connector , took apart tested wires from AWD switch , 12 volts on grey wire when turned on, nothing on br/wh with no reference to ground. Is this wire a ground?

· Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
16,248 Posts
Font Line Window Pattern Screenshot
to the forum
Ball Gas Font Vehicle registration plate Automotive lighting

· Premium Member
2017 Sportsman 850SP
2,556 Posts
You need to press and hold the override button for AWD to work in reverse, otherwise you just get 2WD.

· Premium Member
2017 Sportsman 850SP
2,556 Posts
How about you let us know what machine we're working on first. I don't know of any "slow" indication on the dash. Also, how do you know AWD is not working in reverse?

· Registered
626 Posts
Assuming you know this, but in case you don't, the AWD only works if needed. If the tires aren't losing traction they won't all get power. Like Gmartino said, what process are you using to confirm it is not working.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm totally stumped! Every thing looks good. I don't have the wiring diagram, trying to figure out what happens when the override switch is engaged? The slow symbol appears and 4x4 symbol.
There is two wires br/wh & grey from front differential to speedometer area.
What triggers the 4wd reverse?
Snows on its way, can anybody help!

· Premium Member
19’ 850SP Camo. MtAiry Maryland
3,934 Posts
Tks for everyone who has replied!
If the cage is broken on the front differential would forward 4wd be still working? I'm thinking no.
Going to try a front differential flush next.
Well that’s what I was thinking too, a cracked cage usually leaves forward AWD either not working or partially working at best.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts