Polaris ATV Forum banner

reverse light staying on

1209 Views 16 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  commanderjjones
On my 2000 Sportsman 500, the reverse light is staying on in all gears except neutral. It stays on in high, low, and reverse....but it goes off in neutral and the neutral light comes on. This started happening sporadically about 3 months ago and has gotten worse until now they reverse light stays on all the time (except in neutral).

When it started happening, I noticed that my AWD would not engage (and the AWD indicator light on the switch wouldn't light up) unless the reverse light was on.....which seemed very odd to me.

I have removed both switches from the trans and they seem to be working properly. I have also removed both shift rods and shifted the trans by hand to make sure it wasn't an adjustment issue with the rods.

Any idea on where and what to look for??? This one has me stumped.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Sounds like the wire is grounding out.
Well, I don't disagree with that being a definite possibility, but I'm at a loss on where to start my search. After checking the trans switches, I don't really understand why Polaris ran 4 wires to one switch and 3 wires to the other, because both are simple one position switches. Sure seems that 2 switches operating 2 lights could've been wired WAY simpler.
dose the light go out when the range switches are unplugged
dose the light go out when the range switches are unplugged
Yes. Both lights (neutral and reverse) go out if you unplug either switch. Evidently those switches are tied together somewhere somehow (not sure if it's by power or ground).
Well, I don't disagree with that being a definite possibility, but I'm at a loss on where to start my search. After checking the trans switches, I don't really understand why Polaris ran 4 wires to one switch and 3 wires to the other, because both are simple one position switches. Sure seems that 2 switches operating 2 lights could've been wired WAY simpler.
Yes it could be simpler but that's Polaris for you.
I had a similar experience with my Sportsman XP1000 wouldn't start and come to find out that the wire that powers the starter comes from the brake switch and Polaris run the wire all the way to taillights and back starter switch then to the starter. Lot of waste of wires.
if it was short or grounded wire , lights would still be on unplugged, ,its either the switches or the awd module
if it was short or grounded wire , lights would still be on unplugged, ,its either the switches or the awd module
I'm nearly certain that the switches are good. I removed and tested them individually.

I didn't know there is a separate module for the AWD. Where is it located and what does it look like?
White Product Rectangle Font Schematic

If you can follow this;

The red/wht wire supplies 12vdc to the rear transmission switch - now in neutral (as shown) power goes through the switch contacts and energizes the white wire - the white wire supplies 12v to the front transmission switch where it passes through the switch contacts and energizes the green/white wire which travels to the neutral light causing it to illuminate (Note both the neutral and reverse lights share a common ground (brown wire))

Now when put in low - the front switch energizes the grey/white wire #51 - when put in high, the rear switch energizes the gry/wht wire #50 - both wires travel to a splice
Rectangle Triangle Font Slope Parallel

Wire 43 goes to the AWD switchj and wire 34 goes to the override button

Now in reverse the purple wire is energized which turns on the reverse light - if either the switch is faulty or there is a short between the high and low wires to the purple, the the switches could be good and the reverse light would be on either in forward or reverse.

You need to test the switches on the vehicle - check for 12v on each wire corresponding to the gear the transmission is in.

And there is no separate module for AWD - just the switch in the throttle housing - wire 43 energizes wire 44 when the switch is on, but the ground for AWD is controlled by the speedo.
Rectangle Font Line Parallel Pattern
See less See more
Reactions: 1
If you can follow this........
Wow! Great info' Latebird. I think I can figure it out using that.

One more question......you mentioned the AWD ground is controlled by the speedo. My speedo hasn't worked in about 2 years. I don't need it, so I never bothered fixing it. Is it possible that the non-working speedo is causing the indicator light issue? The light issue only surfaced recently, so I'm guessing that they're not related. I would think if AWD wasn't getting a ground, it wouldn't work at all.
Wow! Great info' Latebird. I think I can figure it out using that.

Is it possible that the non-working speedo is causing the indicator light issue?
No
I didn't know there is a separate module for the AWD. Where is it located and what does it look like?
meant the rev limiter module, mines under the frt hood cowl
UPDATE.......

Thanks to Latebird's help, I traced the problem to the reverse override button. Turns out that it had some dirt and corrosion between the contacts. That's why it started out as an intermittent problem and gradually got worse. After disassembly and a thorough cleaning, it's working well now.

Just an FYI.......beware if you ever take apart that switch. Lots of small springs and detent balls.
  • Helpful
Reactions: 2
Yeah - they are not intended to be disassembled and repaired - they are supposed to be replaced.
Yeah - they are not intended to be disassembled and repaired - they are supposed to be replaced.
I can definitely see why, but I fixed it.....lol. It now works smoother than it did since I bought it 6 years ago.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts