Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Mom is going to kill me. She told me not to ride her 2000 magnum 325 4x4 because the reverse light wouldn't go out on the dash no matter what gear it was in. It wouldn't go very fast either like a governor was causing it to stay below a certain speed. She had to put it in H and press the reverse override button just to get it home from the field without taking all day. She told me dad would look at it later and fix it.

Well I was dumb and drove it anyways knowing it had problems. I was hot dogging it in our field when all of a sudden there was a grinding noise coming out the back end. Now it will not move when I have it in 2WD but will move in AWD but just the front set of tires are powered.

When I got it home and looked at it I thought I may have broke the rear axle or maybe the rear dif but not sure.

Here is another strange thing. In toying around with it I can SOMETIMES get power to the back wheels and move it forward in 2wd. Sometimes I lose reverse all the way. Sometimes even in AWD I cant move forward in H or L even with the reverse override pushed in. Keep in mind the reverse light is always on no mater what gear it is in.

I called a local repair shop and they said they think it sounds like the ECM or Electronic Control Module is out. They want $450 just for the part. Prob is I am sure I can find it cheaper online but I cant find anything out about an ECM for this.

I need to have a pretty good idea what I may have done to this before my mom kills me and try and have parts at least ordered to help fix this mess.

She uses it around the house and farm and is the only piece of equipment she owns that helps her so much. I feel horrible.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Gear indicator switch is the first thing to look at for the R light being lit all the time. As far as the moving, check the belt and clutches first. Is that machine chain driven? Maybe the rear chain broke or fell off the sprockets? ECM is the last thing on the list at this point.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board.

·
11,136 Posts
You'll have to do some close checking but it's NOT the ECM making the rear not pull. As Ridinagain said, its likely the gear indicator switch making the R light stay on. I'd guess you have an axle broke or hub stripped causing it to not pull in the rear. Get all 4's off he ground to check it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts